• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for mj info

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering looking to buy an mj but I don't know anything about them. I'm just wanting to know what years they were made, what motors, tranny, tease, and axles come in them. Are there certain years that are better? I would like to maybe get an h.o. If they came with them. My xj is a renix so I want to try the h.o. World. Thanks for any advice or info. I'm going to keep searching for info in the meantime.

made from 86-92
real low production in 91-92 owing to the chryco takeover, those are the only HO years.

86 was 4 banger and 2.hate

87-90 were the renix years jsut the same as the XJ.
everything fron the firewall forward is the same as the XJ. Seats are the same, but brackets are different, floors are different but XJ pans can be made to fit with a hammer, chassis is radically different, front suspension is the same as XJ, rear completely different.

They all rust above the rear wheel wells. if it doesn't look rusty it's probably been bondo'd
There are NO body parts available past the doors. Tail lights are $$$$$, as are rear bumpers that aren't trashed.

I love mine. It's built a lot more solidly than an XJ, but it has very nearly zero aftermarket for things that don't interchange with the XJ.

I guess I'm lucky.

I have a significant collection of spare taillights (3 or 4 sets last I counted), almost perfect stock rear bumpers (2), and good straight tailgates... and I just picked up a complete bed with straight sides and extremely minimal wheelwell rust for 200 bucks.

Rusty's has a set of 4.5" SUA lift springs for the MJ, I have them on mine. I have wheeled it 3 times with my usual fairly heavy right foot and haven't sagged them out... yet. I wonder if they'll last a year.

I have two MJs now and 1 XJ. I will probably end up with 2 MJs and 0 XJs eventually.

As Nate said, basically anything from the rear edge of the doors and back is unobtainium unless you collect parts well before you need them. I had to buy a new fuel sender from tennessee IIRC because they are ALL rotted out up here.

ehhhh. I guess I could.

I keep em around in case one of the local guys busts a set up and needs new ones. Funny thinking about the fact that I have at least a thousand dollars in 20 year old tail lights sitting in the other room.

If I still had a bed, or intended on wheeling an MJ with a bed, I'd build metal tail light boxes with fluch mounted lights.

They're just too vulnerable if you wheel rocks or tight trails. Couple that with the overhang past the rear axle and the turning radius of a yacht and it was a miracle they lasted as long as they did with my wheeling style.

yeah... kinda surprised I haven't wrecked mine yet. I've tooled up the bottom of the truck pretty bad.

When I rebuild it I'm going to put the usual slider setup on, extended back under the bed, probably a beefy back bumper, and considering putting tube sliders along the tops of the bed sides as well. I don't really want to bend up the new bed I got, it's pretty nice and clean and those are getting hard to find.

are you shortbed or longbed?

Toyota Tacoma sliders were the right size, you just have to modify the mounts.

shortbed.

I'm redoing the whole frame soon with box tubing, and I have no rockers left, so I'll just do those with box tubing at the same time.

None of my MJs had any rust on the floors or beds. I have had 4 of them. If you look you can find rust free trucks in the South and South west. You just have to travel to find the right truck.

I prefer a LWB truck to the shorties. You can do anything to an MJ that you choose. Do not buy into the hype that they are rare. Yes there is not as many MJs as XJs but they are still easy to get for less than a grand in running condition.

I've bought 3. One from SoCal and two from SW Washington none of them had any rust.

My 89 spent its entire life in VA and was rust free with the exception of one small hole in the drives floorboard. I cut it out and welded a large fender washer in the hole, thats how small it was.

I need another MJ, I'm looking for a non runner with a great body. It doesnt matter whether its 4wd or not, I just want another rust free MJ to start building.

I prefer a SWB but would consider a LWB if its cherry. I'm looking to spend $500 for a non runner in great shape w/title.

Check Ebay. There is a nice 4 banger on there that started bidding at $20!

My 89 spent its entire life in VA and was rust free with the exception of one small hole in the drives floorboard. I cut it out and welded a large fender washer in the hole, thats how small it was.

I need another MJ, I'm looking for a non runner with a great body. It doesnt matter whether its 4wd or not, I just want another rust free MJ to start building.

I prefer a SWB but would consider a LWB if its cherry. I'm looking to spend $500 for a non runner in great shape w/title.
Funny, I'm looking for a mint longbed and have a fairly clean shortbed I paid 500 for... too bad you are 650 miles from me.

If you find a good clean LWB let me know and I can send you pics of what I have, I'd be willing to do at least half of the driving if I find time, and possibly throw in some cash depending on what you think of my SWB's condition.

Back