• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 shifter problem

jeep_toys

NAXJA Forum User
I am fixing up a 2001 XJ with a 3.5" RE lift, SYE, Tom Woods shaft, upcountry skids. I bought this jeep pretty cheap as the underside is incredibly rusted, it was parked muddy by the previous owner for years. Rockers are shot but the floor is decent.

Problem: my 242 would not shift. I pulled it out, stripped it down and found that it was the actual shifter through the case itself that is tight. I managed to get it to move after a few hits with a hammer and figured it was fine, but after putting in back in the jeep it still wont shift with the lever. I can shift from below with an adjustable wrench now but pulling on the shifter wont budge it.
Option 1: Pull the case out again, obviously but then what? Strip it down further to remove the through case shifter? I got stuck last time before I could get that far. There must be something I am missing?
Option 2 : I have a 242 from a 95 ZJ. The input shaft is different length but I could swap half the case? What's easier?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Jarek.

cherokee.jpg

I can shift from below with an adjustable wrench now but pulling on the shifter wont budge it.

So you can manually directly shift the t-case from underneth but not inside from the shifter? Have you checked the shifter linkage at all? Rusty jeeps that havent been shifted into 4WD in awhile like to sieze up Ive found.

you'll have to pull the case again and either get a new linkage or make your own out of small heims and treaded rod.

Good used stock linkage, build a new linkage with heims, or buy a Novak cable shifter or Novak lever shifter kit.

The shifter mech attached to the body is fine, moves freely. The shift rod as it goes through the 242 case is the issue. There must be some teflon lined hole that the rod goes through and rotates? This is seized. I can shift with a wrench but the body shifter mechanism is too wimpy. I have to pull the case out for sure. Question is how do I get the shifter rod out of the case, or is it easier just to swap the front of the case with a known working one?

I noticed a little rubber plug in the case that leads to a 1/8" split pin? I am going to try to see if pushing this out frees the case shifter?
Jarek

I doubt it is seized. The T-case will shift by hand, but it does take some effort or light tap with a hammer. I would suspect your 4x4 shifter mechanism has bad bushings or a rusted out body mount that allows it to flex instead of shift.

Do you have a T-Case drop ? That can bind the 4x4 shifter.

The 4x4 mode Range Lever (1) is bolted onto the Sector shaft that enters the casing. The sector shaft has a bushing and an o-ring (4 & 5). The Sector (6) moves the Shift Fork (8).

You probably should disassemble the T-case and inspect the internals. While you have it open install fresh shift fork pads (9) and check the chain for stretching.

Finding a Factory Service Manual would be a really good idea.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back