• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo cable operation question

bigalpha

Is there some special trick to seating the cable insert inside the sheath?

I have it pushed in as far as it will go, but the insert doesn't spin. If I hold it, I can feel it trying to seat or spin or something, but nothing happens.

you have to wiggle it while installing it I think, the square end of the shaft needs to go into the socket properly or it will just push the shaft back into the sheath. I might be misunderstanding your question.

PS: I really hate tach/speedo cables. This is one reason why I like the 91+ models more.

alright, well I went out and pulled the gear at the trans and found that there was a broken piece of the previous speedo cable still stuck in place. Almost too small to even tell. Pulled it out and the new cable installs and works.

Only problem is the slight wiggle of the needle. Otherwise, it's cherry.

You probably have too sharp a bend somewhere in the cable then. Usually a periodic wiggle in the needle is from the shaft (which is actually a tightly coiled spring) binding on a bend in the sheath and "winding up" then suddenly freeing itself.

Note from DJ
White Lithium Grease is an excellent lube for speedometer cables and many other things.
It comes in spray cans, tubes etc. at auto parts store. This bay solve your problem.

Back