• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Missfire... ??

Doose-doe

NAXJA Forum User
97 sport 4.0 ax-15 4wd
Ok so I was nearly out of gas the other day and put about $20 in. It almost immediately started running like crap so I thought bad gas. Well one of my o2 sensors has a broken plug so my check engine light is always on but I ran it anyways got a p0505 which is the air idle control. Replaced the sensore because because the wires and connector were clean and in good shape. Still running like crap better but still like crap it is a very obvious misfire on cylinder 3 I'm guessing. Put new plugs in and the same thing. Any suggestions? It's last tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) was maybe 2 years ago

Pull the code. No guesswork.

I always attack a single cylinder misfire the same way, (and in this order)

1. Spark plug
2. Spark plug wire
3. Distributor cap
4. Fuel injector
5. Internal condition of the engine (run a compression test for starters)

Just because you replaced tuneup hardware 2 years ago doesn't mean that it can't be the cause here..................

Very low fuel level means you probably picked up crap from the bottom of the tank, and it has now a clogged injector. How old is the fuel filter? How many miles on the engine/injectors? If it's not an electrical problem (plugs, wires, cap, rotor), and not mechanical (valves,even compression among the cylinders), I'd bet a clogged injector. Pull the plugs and compare color, wetness, carbon build-up, etc. I replaced the injectors in my '96, and got better MPG, easier starts, smoother idle, and not I can run 87 octane again. I'd been using 89 for about a year because of pinging, and it still did under a heavy load. Now it never does.

I run a can of BG44K through the fuel every 10k miles on every vehicle I own. It cleans out the injectors and carbon in the engine.

Back