• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ram size for hydraulic assist

rkates

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to convert the jeep and was wondering what kind of differences am I going to see between a .75 and a 1" shaft. (1.5x8x1 or 1.5x8x.75) I'm running 36" irocs if that helps.

It would depend on how much pressure the pump is putting to the ram.

Calculate the cross-sectional area of the piston by squaring the diameter, multiplying the result by pi (3.14), then divide this result by 4. For example, for a piston with a 5 inch diameter, the cross sectional area is (5" * 5" * 3.14)/4 = 19.625 sq. inches.

Calculate the cylinder tonnage by multiplying the cross sectional area as calculated above by the pressure capacity of the hydraulic pump, as listed in the pump specifications. For example, using the example cylinder above and a 1,000 psi pump, the cylinder capacity is (19.625 sq. inches) *(1,000 psi) = 19,625 lbs. To convert from pounds to tons, divide this result by 2,000 to get 9.8 tons.

I'm looking to convert the jeep and was wondering what kind of differences am I going to see between a .75 and a 1" shaft. (1.5x8x1 or 1.5x8x.75) I'm running 36" irocs if that helps.

None. It will make no noticeable difference. The only difference is in the strength of the shaft.

If you want to talk balance, which is only talk, then the smaller shaft would be more balanced because of less volume difference on both sides of the piston. But, it won't matter. Only issue is the strength of the shaft if you hit it on a rock.

Back