• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has an ex police XJ?

gloriavoxdei

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 that used to be a patrol unit for the local Sheriff's Office, anyone else have an ex patrol unit? Post up some pics.
IMG002.jpg

My uncle has one, it was a MP unit on a military base in the midwest somewhere, don't recall now. Column shiter is nice, lots of room to mount radios on the floor. ;)

Mine actually isn't a police package, it was a base model that was outfitted. It actually has an AX-15 if you can believe it. Here's a interior pic, I'll get a better on latter of the police equiptment holes etc.
IMG004.jpg

I just want the guage cluster from one of them so my speedo goes up to 120 instead of 85...Not that I would (could) ever go that fast, just want one cuz I like em :D

Not only is the speedometer different, the rear brakes are bigger on the Police Special XJs. Not only larger in diameter, but the drum is finned for cooling as well. Looked into doing the conversion at one time on the 8.25 but could not locate a source (other than the Dealer) for the backing plates. All of the other hardware is easily located. 10" drums! Almost as good as discs...

10" drums have about the same surface area as the 9", because the shoe is narrower. But the increased leverage is nice, though. The majority of 10" brakes were late '80s, on a D44 or trailer package, usually upscale models. I don't think I've seen any from about '90 on, at least on vehicles I've taken parts from in the JY. We have a '95 that came from a state park in NJ. The only difference we've found is the front axle u-joints. Apparently it wants ABS axle joints, but doesn't have ABS.

They list the police jeeps with 10 more horse than the others. How did they accomplish this?

My buddy has a police xj and its fast as hellllll. Just wondered how they got the extra power out of the 98 police?

My uncle has one, it was a MP unit on a military base in the midwest somewhere, don't recall now. Column shiter is nice, lots of room to mount radios on the floor. ;)

Back in my MP days we used to beat the everliving HELL out of our patrol cars.... even harder on the XJ's, they could take it much better!

I had a '95 ex K-9 unit. Rear springs we sagging pretty bad from having the cage in the back, but it was a good, reliable rig.

Does it still have the door poppers? Most K9 patrols have a remote key-fob to pop the rear doors and let the dog out if the officer is in trouble.

Hi! Actually don't have "my" Jeep yet but found this thread when looking for info on my cousin's Jeep which I've since decided to buy, just need to find someone that's willing to drive me 5 hours and back so I can pick it up :) Anyway, her ex bought it at an auction and was told it was a "police package" turns out it is not but was built for a gov't contract (I got the build info from Chrysler.) Has floor shift and carpet, but still has HD cooling, trans cooler, skid plate package, HD suspension, HD alternator... doesn't have tow package though, which is really the only disappointment. For a dream Jeep I'd rather have the full time transfer case as well, but as nice as it is and for the price I'm not complaining. It does have floor shift (auto) and carpet so it looks like a "normal" Cherokee... Gotta admit I'm kinda stoked. No pics yet, can't wait to get it in my driveway and get rid of my crap F-150... (nobody can get it to drive right despite all the money I've dumped into it... I think it needs new spindles and I just don't feel like messing with it when the Jeep is available and will let me do so much more stuff to it that I want to do.)

First time in my life that I've ever said to someone "if you ever want to sell this car call me" and she actually did! :)

I had tho opportunity to buy one at one point. There is a place here in KC that sells only ex police and government fleet vehicles. He had 9 different units from Virgina Hwy Patrol. I hate that I was a stupid punk back then:looser:
Anyways, does anyone know where I can get those a pillar lights installed? Or is there a DIY kit to be had?

Anyways, does anyone know where I can get those a pillar lights installed? Or is there a DIY kit to be had?

www.galls.com

They also have I believe the newer LED ones, but it may require trimming the shaft down some, as the shafts on the XJ's are shorter, since the door jamb is closer to the driver. If you need some measurements, let me know. I can get the ones off our current '99 Police package unit at its current parking location(since I have a set of keys to it and the other patrol cars of ours).

Jeff

The spotlight are made by Unity and you can order the kits directly from their website. They are actually more useful then I thought they'd be, great for watching wildlife at night and freaking out kids parked in cars doing what teenagers do.

www.galls.com

They also have I believe the newer LED ones, but it may require trimming the shaft down some, as the shafts on the XJ's are shorter, since the door jamb is closer to the driver. If you need some measurements, let me know. I can get the ones off our current '99 Police package unit at its current parking location(since I have a set of keys to it and the other patrol cars of ours).

Jeff

http://www.strobes-r-us.com/closeup.asp?cid=92&pid=682&offset=0

Here ya go, those things are ridiculous.

I don't know if mine was police or not, but it was a govt build with HD goodies and skid plates (but no front tow hooks??)

P1020997.jpg

I don't know if mine was police or not, but it was a govt build with HD goodies and skid plates (but no front tow hooks??)

P1020997.jpg

To answer your question, look down at your rear wiper/washer, and defroster switches which are just below your A/C controls(if you have that), there will be a switch marked Extended Idle. If you have it, then it came with the factory police prep package. That from my research is the true tell tale of a true police Jeep, as my FSM states that the Extended Idle Switch is for the police prep package ONLY with the 4.0 6cyl. So if yours has that then its likely a true one, otherwise, its just how the govt. ordered a ton of them. And you can actually add one to an XJ that doesn't have it. You simply have to ground the #10 pin on the ECU/PCM, and that does it. I got a '95 that was a rollover/total, and I pulled the entire unit out of it for my Jeep, and now that I got another one, mine will end up with this switch installed. It only works in Park or Neutral, and I also found that the 4cyl XJ's had a pressure switch for the PS, that actually runs to this same port, which kicks the idle up during steering where demand is super high. Its supposed to run off the same pin on the ECU/PCM.

Jeff

Last edited:
And you can actually add one to an XJ that doesn't have it. You simply have to ground the #10 pin on the ECU/PCM, and that does it.

Jeff

Will this also work on a '96/OBDII? If it's simply a matter of grounding a circuit, then great! As for the 4 cylinder engine speeding up a little to match power steering demand, I first noticed that on our Subaru. The idle seems to waver in anticipation to any demand, like a heavy electrical load. The tach doesn't move, but the pitch of the engine changes slightly.

A little off topic, but thanks for the info.

Back