• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking the manual conversion skydive

98Eviltwin

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
I am getting ready to replace the automatic trans in my 98 Xj with an AX-15 manual that I already have. I can find almost all of the pieces I need with the exception of the pedal bracket assembly. I have one from a 1992 XJ which is where I got the trans also but they mount differently in the 98. Does anybody have any ideas to conquer this? Thanks for any and all help.

Your t-case wont work with a 92 trans,at minimum you will need to swap out the t-case input shaft!

go to stickies in the how to section it lists the different years as far as pedals go im in the same boat just waiting for some final pieces.

84-94 was the first generation of pedal bracket i believe it changed 2 more times but its in that PDF how=to.

as said likely to be different spline counts between your 242....? and the ax15....by the way shoulda grabbed yourself a 94+ and got the external slave.

another detail to watch for is clutch MC differences as the pedal assemblies changed so did the length/travel on the MC shaft.

im sure theres more but its late and i need to work in 5hrs so if you need any more details ive managed to collect a crap load of info so just let me know and ill do my best to help, i have started a half ass how-to on another forum, keep in mind my swap is putting a 94+ ax15 into an 89 XJ but still got a tonne of info.

keep in mind your a 98 so you will have a fair bit of electronic trickery to figure out.

good luck

Back