• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 xj wont start after stalling it in reverse

My jeep is a 93 cherokee sport, with a 4.0 and ax-15 5 speed, My girlfriend stalled it in reverse, she went to restart and nothing, turns over but wont start, Its still parked at her work so Im tryin to get a list of stuff to check once I get down there to check it out. Any ideas would be great.

First have some one crank it, while you have one spark wire pulled to check for spark. Put a spark plug, or bolt in the plug wire and hold it on or near a ground to look for a good spark.

Check the fuel rail for fuel, pressure, at the test port on the rail, and turn the ignition to run, not start and listen for the fuel pump to kick on and run a few seconds.

If no spark, then test the CPS directly (google for threads here on this forum) to see if it died.

No fuel, check the fuses, relays, ballast resistor (if it has one?),

Check the battery connections, cables.

That is where you start out. Also check the vacuum line to MAP sensor and throttle body, make sure it did not come loose.

Also, if you have fuel and spark, check the spark plugs, wires and Cap and rotor. If it is flooded, hold the gas peddle to the floor and crank to dry it out, and get it to start.

And check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum port for leaking gasoline!

Back