• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Price range to regear axles?

bonesxj

NAXJA Forum User
How much should it cost to have my 89 XJ with a automatic tranny regeared. It has a dana 30 in the front and a dana 35 in the rear. I have 31'' now and I want to go up to 33''tires with 4:88 gears. Good gear size or is to much, I do live the mountains.

Re: Price

4.56 is what i would put in.. I would also ditch the 35. Put in a 8.25 if your going to do it. Do some calling around to different shops . It can very hundreds of dollars .

Last edited:

The D30 will need a new carrier and gears. The D35 will just need new gears. You can price gears and a carrier online.

Shops will generally run $200 to $275 per axle to install gears

Search your local jeep forums and Craigslist you could probably find some axles geared already. And I'd ditch the 35 too.
My bet is you could find geared axles cheaper than you could regear your existing

The D30 will need a new carrier and gears. The D35 will just need new gears. You can price gears and a carrier online.

Shops will generally run $200 to $275 per axle to install gears
Actually Turdy5 will need a carrier. It's the C8.25 that does not have a carrier break for lower (numerically higher) gears.

Yeah, I'm not to familiar with the D35 (I have the C8.25, but swapping to a D44).

I thought the D35 carrier break was 2.72:1 - 3.31:1 and 3.55 - 4.88:1?

Last edited:

Is it hard to switch the D35 for a 8.25. Is there any welding involved. What would I need to look for in getting a 8.25 ? Year, vehicle it comes from etc...

It's not hard to swap to 8.25. Ubolts and plates are about the only things needed.

When my shop was open, I charged $500/axle in labor for ring & pinion setup. I would spend a minimum of 8 hrs/diff completely stripping/cleaning/rebuilding the diff, getting a perfect pattern, pics, specs, 6 month warranty.

You get what you pay for.

Since you are in Socal, i would highly recommend going to Rob at Rwkhaussupply. he has the best labor price if its out of the jeep and you have the shafts removed (under $200 per axle). if you get the 8.25 this won't be a problem since it'll be out of the jeep anyways. he also sells the ring and pinions and install kits for very reasonable prices. he's only done my dana 30 so far, but i plan to go with him in the future. you can also ask any Socal guy who has used him, he's great!

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magento/

Back