• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird front tire wear

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
98xj, 5.5" lift. It's been lifted for years, dunno what's changed. Tires wore evenly till recently.
Now my front passenger tire is wearing crazy fast on the inside. Toe-in looks and feels good and the drivers side tire is wearing evenly.

I recently noticed that my axle side control arm mount holes were lobed/worn so I welded in some heavy duty washers which fixed up the slop, but I'm guessing that my axle is now aligned crooked. Would this explain harsh wear on the inside of only one tire?

Any other possible explanations?

how is the passenger upper ball joint? how is the passenger hub bearings? could be worn and causing the tire to lean inward, wearing the inside quicker.

Recently had my alignment checked at Midas for only $20. Might want to try that. They give you a whole report showing angle measurements and if they are in or out of spec.

Recently had my alignment checked at Midas for only $20. Might want to try that. They give you a whole report showing angle measurements and if they are in or out of spec.

yea, generally doesn't work that way here in Canadia. We take our vehicles in for an alignment for which they'll quote you $40, and when you go to pick it up they'll charge you $400 and your vehicle won't run anymore. I gave up on Canadian shops a long time ago :)

Hrm... Apon closer inspection, looks like both fronts are wearing on the inside. Haven't adjusted camber any time in the past 2 years since I bought the Jeep and this wear is new. It's definitely from the past 500km or so. Haven't hit anything hard enough to bend the axle housing and haven't changed out the ball joints.
Checked all four ball joints and they seem within' spec.

Both insides worn. Can this be from too much toe-in ? I'm definitely toed in about 1/4" - 3/8" in.

toe is supposed to be between 1/8 to 1/4. but i think your problem is in your ball joints or wheel bearings.

PS, you cant adjust camber.

Yea, Toe-in should be 1/8-1/4 so I'm a bit over.
Ball joints are good. Wheel bearings seemed good as well, and again, the tires wore dead even till about 500km ago when I welded up the control arm mounts. The camber is about 1degree right now which should be fine. Camber IS adjustable with offset ball joints AFAIK.

having too much toe in will actually cause your tires to be cambered in, because of your caster angle. adjust your toe, check the caster, and check the camber for the hell of it. look for bent/loose steering components

Back