• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ota trackbar bracket

darkendlight88

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 90 xj with 3" lift and 31s. My steering is really sloppy so I figured now is a good time to upgrade since I want to run 35s when my current tires wear out. I've decided I'm gonna go with either ballistic or ruff stuffs 3/4 heims steering kit. I know I will need to relocate sway bar and track bar brackets. Here's my problem I'm gonna run the trackbar ota but all the brackets I've found say they won't work with my CAD Dana 30. What have other people done? I want to avoid swapping the axle for a non disconnect if possible.

youll be money ahead to swap in a non disco 30. with 35's youre gonna neep upgraded shafts, which you cant get for the disco 30's. you'll also want to truss it, which is dificult on the disco. there is much more aftermarket support for the non discos and you wouldnt regret it. What all do you have in your 30 already?

youll be money ahead to swap in a non disco 30. with 35's youre gonna neep upgraded shafts, which you cant get for the disco 30's. you'll also want to truss it, which is dificult on the disco. there is much more aftermarket support for the non discos and you wouldnt regret it. What all do you have in your 30 already?

They make kits for 1 peice shafts for a YJ with a disco axle so why wouldn't that work?... but yes... he would be better off with a non disco housing.

IMO, at a 3: lift, there's little reason to run an OTA trackbar mount. I ran a full crossover steering for a few years at 3" and 4.5" with stock trackbar mounts.

An OTA will usually shorten your trackbar quite a bit. By itself, that's going to change your suspension behavior, you'll get some bumpsteer as the suspension cycles.

For now the 30 is all stock. My 31s still have quite a bit of tread left so it will be a while till I do the jump to 35s. My plan is to slowly build the rig up to handle 35s when the time comes. And the main reason to go ota with the trackbar is because with the steering I want to run I thought I would have clearance issues with the trackbar mount

If I had to do it over again, I'd think about sticking with the stock axle trackbar location. I had more clearance issues with the axle swaybar mounts than with the trackbar.

The major reason that I swapped the trackbar when I went up to 6" was that I wanted to change to a spherical joint at the body end instead of a TRE.

i did the otk steering swap on my 87. i changed to a non disco axle when i did. if i were to the swap again i WOULD NOT do the OTK swap. im using a T steering setup. it has tie rod roll. a dead spot and the handling sucks.if i were to do it again i would go back to the Grand Cherokee drag link from the pit man arm to right knuckle. do the otk on the left side only. the Jeep still handled decently with that set up.i only had to cut on sway bar mount.i did not run a sway bar with that set. i found with the OTK you must run the say bar on the street or it is all overe the place.

everyone knocks the Y link. it is not as bad as everyone says. i have driven quite a few Rubicon Wranglers with the ORF conversion. as far as im concerned they handle just as bad as the OTK conversion on a Cherokee.

I'm definitely trying to avoid any dead spots. That's the reason I want to go with the crossover heim steering. I want it to be nice and tight. What if I run the tie rod utk and the drag link otk. Will I get bumpsteer since the trackbar would be shorter and at a different angle than the drag link?

Back