• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 longer and traction device?

88justin

NAXJA Forum User
will i need to shorten my driveshaft if i replace my D35 with a D44?

took a look in the differential today, found that the pinion sheared a tooth off and managed to notch every 3 teeth on the ring gear. so i get to contemplate a D44.

I may end up keeping the D35 depending on the price of fixing it.

What is the best overall limited slip, traction device>?

i also have pics if anyone wants to see the damage.

Last edited:
Yes youll need to shorten the driveshaft.As far as limited slips go the best would be a Tru-trac then Auburn then Trac-loc.

BTW:Whats the real story???It must of been alot more than "so i was driving in the parking lot and i accidentially dropped the clutch in first gear a little too fast...."

Last edited:
Ya know I often pop off the ol' diff cover whe I'm bored.....c'mon what's the story? BTW its karma.....get the 44. The jeep gods have spoken.

The D44's nose is about an inch longer. If you are running a lift, there is a possibility that your drive shaft has been pulled out of the xfer case that much by the lift. You can drill a different hole in the axle mounting plate and the top plate and move the axle rearward a half inch or so with no problems.

Thanks for the information guys. that is the real story, but i left out that ive been fighting some high idle problems,....the thing idles at 2000 rpm most of the time. thats why the tires chirped.

i wish i was doing something cool like pulling out a stuck hummer :)

so im thinking of ordering a fully built d44 so that i can drop it in and shorten my shaft. and be done with it. i really dont have much time to spend planning and fabbing. school is so busy.

THe large tooth that broke off the pinion shows signs of fatigue cracking. i had been getting vibes at the rear that i couldnt get rid of with shims, so maby it was on its way and i just helped it along..hehe

so ive been quoted from 400-600 for a gear replacement. I'll have to replace the bearings and spider gears and do axle seals and beargins, so if i add a limited slip, the redone D35 might cost about 1000$. ouch right?

so im thinking if i can get a D44 built with drum brakes and a true track, nothing special for axles or anything else. maby 1500-2000?

do you think its worth it>?

ill also have to add the price of shortening my tom woods drive shaft.

what do you think?

thanks

88justin said:
... so im thinking if i can get a D44 built with drum brakes and a true track, nothing special for axles or anything else. maby 1500-2000?

do you think its worth it>?

Ordinarily, I'd say that's a very personal decision. In fact, I will say "that's a very personal decision."

If you're looking at dumping close to $1000 into a Dana 35, I think that makes the decision tree a whole lot simpler. I think you can probably get a fairly basic Dana 44 with drum brakes for less than $1500, but even at $1000 for the Dana 35 compared to $1500 for the Dana 44 -- you'd have to be extremely masochistic to choose the Dana 35.

Back