• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 4.0 Leaky water pump

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
1995 4.0 xj, entire new cooling system it will ruun all day with out any leaks but after 2 days of sitting its will start to leak, pump was properly tourqed when motor was on engine stand after I first found the leak leak I snugged the bolts down a little more. Any ideas on WTF is going on here

How old is the pump? If it is going bad it will leak out of the weeper hole which is designed to start leaking fluid before the pump goes completely bad so that you do not overheat the engine from a failed pump. When the pump was installed did you use RTV sealant along with the seal that comes with the pump?

I've had mixed results with RTV in conjunction with gaskets. For this specific application, the last 3 times I've done it, I make sure both mating surfaces are COMPLETELY clean. Use a die grinder and some cookies to get the block portion perfect. Put the gasket in between, torque to spec, and then go 1/4 turn more. That's it. Haven't had one leak yet.

Another thing to consider, water pumps vary regarding quality to extremes. I had a brand new bosche pump that wouldn't even line up with the block. Maybe yours has an imperfection cast into the mating surface?

brand new all pro pump, and used a light coat of rtv on both sides of the gasket, done a few other 4.0 pumps without any issues, this is the first one ive has issues with

I had a brand new water pump leak like that at the weep hole, it was defective right out of the box. Where is the leak, weep hole or gasket?

My guess is defective out of the box as well.

This happens more than you would think. And it seems to happen more often to water pumps and alternators.

I had a brand new water pump leak like that at the weep hole, it was defective right out of the box. Where is the leak, weep hole or gasket?

Its coming from the bottom I know when I pulled things apart to snug up the bolts the bottom one wass covered in anti sieze

My guess is defective out of the box as well.

This happens more than you would think. And it seems to happen more often to water pumps and alternators.

Ive been going more and more lately with new instead of reman'ed units for this reason. For the extra couple of bucks it costs sometimes, it seems worth it to me.

And Rob, are you certain its from the bottom of the pump? Most of the leaks Ive seen on new water pumps in XJ's is from that stupid tube that screws into them. If they arent just perfect, it leaks. This has happened to me before, I had to pull Jeff's apart a second time because I didnt get it right the first time.

Ive been going more and more lately with new instead of reman'ed units for this reason. For the extra couple of bucks it costs sometimes, it seems worth it to me.

And Rob, are you certain its from the bottom of the pump? Most of the leaks Ive seen on new water pumps in XJ's is from that stupid tube that screws into them. If they arent just perfect, it leaks. This has happened to me before, I had to pull Jeff's apart a second time because I didnt get it right the first time.

from what i can tell it was from the shaft area every thing else is dry, and its a brand new pump to, ive gotten 3 reman pumps from tire warehouse in the past with zero issues, sadley they stopped sellin parts a couple years ago

Back