• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Trackbar,,, Bushing AND/OR rod end??

DrRandy

NAXJA Forum User
XJ spec's in sig if ya want em'

My current track bar has a shot bushing and rod end...very sloppy on both ends. I'm gonna fab one up with some 1.5" DOM .25 wall i have laying around.
Question: can i use a rod end on both ends? Or do i really need to run a bushing on the axle end? It's not a DD but i do drive it on the road to/from the trail.

BTW I'm running the RE 1665, trackbar bracket on fame end

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can definitely run a rod end on each side. It's just a link arm, can take any kind of joint/bushing. It would actually move more freely with a joint on both ends rather than a bushing, and the rod end should last longer than the bushing. Just get good quality rod ends, and I'd use misalignment spacers. RE track bar bracket should be a 2" mounting width, and you can get both 3/4 and 7/8 misalignment spacers in 2" mounting width.

What is better for a DD? I have the RE bracket as well and I swear the RE joints are junk. I wear them out, and they become loose on me all the dam time. I need to figure out something. Would heims on both ends be good for a DD? How would it handle??

Sorry hijack over!

When my jeep waas still on 35's and I did the WJ swap to it, I built aa straight TB outta 1.5x.25 DOM. I used a 2" wide Johnny Joint frameside and a 2" wide rubber bushing axleside, I upped the bolt size to 1/2" for both of them too. Worked good, no wobble but the rubber did have some give/cushion to it. This time around with my rebuild its got 7/8x3/4 rod ends from Ruffstuff on both ends.

Awesome...thanks to you all. I think I'm going with a 2" ballistic joint on the frame end and a rod end on axle end.

I need to replace the track bar super flex on mine. I find that i always get the wrong stuff. I think i have a re 1600.

will these thread right in?
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/78x34RE.html

Do i need any spacers or just insall in the track bar and drop bracket and tighten?

Do you have pics and part numbers of how you converted the axle side?

007Small.jpg

I use 7/8" x 3/4" QA1 rod ends from ballistic (straight TB, 1.5" .250 wall DOM). For spacers and misalignment I just used some 1" .120 wall DOM I had laying around, cut about 1/4" lengths out of it and put that on either side of the joints, works great for me.

Last edited:
What is better for a DD? I have the RE bracket as well and I swear the RE joints are junk. I wear them out, and they become loose on me all the dam time. I need to figure out something. Would heims on both ends be good for a DD? How would it handle??

Sorry hijack over!

Really, daily driving has little to nothing to do with what works good on a suspension. If it works good with rough use off road then it will work good on the street. Rubber wears out. A good rod end will last a long time. The narrower mounting width on nearly all track bars requires the smaller size JJ style joints, which don't wear well. I'd use rod ends and skip the JJ style ends. There is really no need for a bushing to absorb anything on a track bar, and the track bar contributes (or not) to how tight and precise the steering is.

gird123:

you do not have the re 1600. that is the single sheer model with the heim at the frame side. i converted mine to double sheer. :D you actually have the re 1660. from what ive been told, the joint is female threaded, so you cant just plug a heim into it. it appears to be one of their super flex joints, but im no expert. contact RE for rebuild or replacement procedures.

or google... :anon:

I removed the track bar and it was easy to tighten the hem joint with a screw driver and hammer.

Thank you! I'm learning so much from this place.

I removed the track bar and it was easy to tighten the hem joint with a screw driver and hammer.

Thank you! I'm learning so much from this place.

Thats what NAXJA is for...learning!!

Back