• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD Noob Questions

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
And here I thought I was doing fine.. :doh:

Is the following a true statement?

Important: "4-low" does not create more traction - it creates more torque and that can be detrimental when traction is marginal. Slipping tires are more likely in "4 low" than in "4 high"!
For that reason 4 low is not a good choice for snow or ice - and not a good choice for mud either!

(Yes, I was in 4LO & 1/2 on Cleghorn Saturday) :dunce:

Also, in my '99 stocker - auto w/ NP231, there is a huge difference in available speed between 4LO & 1/2 vs 4LO & 3. Is this right, or is there something wrong? (Or should I not even be in 3 while in 4LO?)

When I go 4HI & 1/2 to try and use that to control descent on a normal, dry, dirt hill, it just doesn't seem that it limits my rate of speed enough.

Is this right or should I have tranny / tc looked at?

Thanks!

Important: "4-low" does not create more traction - it creates more torque and that can be detrimental when traction is marginal. Slipping tires are more likely in "4 low" than in "4 high"!
For that reason 4 low is not a good choice for snow or ice - and not a good choice for mud either!

Also, in my '99 stocker - auto w/ NP231, there is a huge difference in available speed between 4LO & 1/2 vs 4LO & 3. Is this right, or is there something wrong? (Or should I not even be in 3 while in 4LO?)

When I go 4HI & 1/2 to try and use that to control descent on a normal, dry, dirt hill, it just doesn't seem that it limits my rate of speed enough.

Thanks!

I'm in 4LO whenever I hit the dirt. Even with 4.56's the engine has a hard time turning 35" tires on any kind of slope. The way I see it I'd rather have the engine (and tranny)working less and the gearing working more. Either way the same amount of torque is going to cause a wheel to spin if it dosen't have the traction it needs to move you forward. Using 4hi in 1/2 wont slow you down on a hill, you need to keep the TC in low gear. There is no difference in the final ratio between 2HI and 4HI.

Thanks!

No gearing of any kind creates more traction. That's just a BS statement. Tires, weight transfer ,etc. creates traction.

That said, I am in the lowest gear that let's me keep my speed where I want it. On anything steep, I'm in 4 lo. I have an AX-15, and see no issue with going 40 mph in 5th and 4 Lo. Not for 500 miles, but when off road, sure.

I suspect this comment was made for people in stock vehicles, running stock tires, who don't really know how to drive in snow. The extra torque of 4 lo could lead people to be excessive on the skinny pedal, and apply too much power for the situation. In that case, having the greater torque of 4 Lo gearing could be a problem. Otherwise, run the vehicle in the grea that makes you feel comfortable for the conditions.

David Bricker / SYR

Yes, True

Thanks!

No nothing is wrong. To engine brake on a descent drop the T-Case to 4LO and the transmission to 1/2.

A trick to learn is to start a decent in 4LO and 3rd gear then drop the transmission into 1/2. The transmission will shift down to 2nd gear. As long as you can keep the RPMs above 1500 you will stay in second gear, drop below 1500rpm and the transmision will drop down into first gear.

I love my Terra 2Low

If I am on a trail that I often need 4wd I will leave it in 4lo and drive in 3, and shift down when needed. On sat at cleg, I. Only shifted in to 4wd 2 times after being stopped in snow then back out of 4wd. But if I was running all of the off shoots I would have been in low the whole time for fuel economy purposes. 4hi kills the gas (this is just my opinion).

99% of the above is accurate. IMO, 4lo is good for snow. I grew up in Washington State where driving (and wheeling) in the snow is a regular occurance. The trick with snow and ice is to be 'smooth' on the throttle and the brakes. 4lo can often help to apply torque gently with little throttle use better than 4hi.

I was also at Cleghorn Saturday. :wave1:

Back