• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee's BEST Year?

Burt Gummer

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing my 99 Cherokee, which has more problems than Job. My inclination is to get another 99 and use the old one for parts. Just thought I might poll you more experienced folks and see what you think of 99s versus other years.

Off hand I can't remember when the LP Dana 30s appeared, but I'd say the 98s are the best. If your 99 has the better intake manifold, swap it over to your new 98 and you'll be better off. The 97s had too many problems with mid year 96 parts being in it. Created a crap shoot when trying to get replacement parts. 98s have the HP Dana 30 and the 29 spline 8.25 rear. Better than the 27 splines from older models. If 99s have the better intake manifold and the HP Dana 30 stick with them.

00-01 have LP d30's. I think the best year of cherokees is whatever year you get a great deal on, so 85-01 are all good. yea some may have better parts but the improvement in very minimal in the larger scope of things.

If you have a 99 parts jeep with with good axles i would buy the newest one possible in good shape at a good price. I know the 2000-2001 intake manifolds struggle with heat soak. They have the lp dana 30 which is not as good as the hp dana 30. Also the distributorless ignition system is exepencive to replace.

I have a 2001 and love it, but If I was looking again I would look for a 97 to 99.

The 97s had too many problems with mid year 96 parts being in it. Created a crap shoot when trying to get replacement parts.

I know this is taken as gospel on NAXJA, but in ten years, getting the right parts for mine has not been a problem. The 97 does have a few year-specific parts, but it's not the retarded basket case people say it is, in my experience.

99 is regarded by a lot of people as the best year; if I were in the market for another, I'd be looking for 97-99 XJs with the 4.0/AW4/231, no ABS and the 8.25 rear, factory tint, Up Country or tow packages, and no rust.

I think this year is probably my cherokee's best year so far. right?

I know this is taken as gospel on NAXJA, but in ten years, getting the right parts for mine has not been a problem. The 97 does have a few year-specific parts, but it's not the retarded basket case people say it is, in my experience.

99 is regarded by a lot of people as the best year; if I were in the market for another, I'd be looking for 97-99 XJs with the 4.0/AW4/231, no ABS and the 8.25 rear, factory tint, Up Country or tow packages, and no rust.

My DD XJ is a 97 and I've had absolutely no problems getting parts for it. Not exactly sure what the confusion is that people are having.

My 96 is a bastard year with many 97+ parts, and it has absolutely no effect on reliability.
And don't give any consideration to the 99+ just because of the intake manifold.

1995 was the best year for the 1st generation body style. 1999 is the best year fir the 2nd generation body style.

I am partial to the 85-89 years. Much better rust protection on them!

My DD XJ is a 97 and I've had absolutely no problems getting parts for it. Not exactly sure what the confusion is that people are having.

x3

I'm privy to '94. First year of side door impact beams, still had a HP 30 front, and I was under the impression that the ABS equipped ones had the bigger front axle U-joints. If I were in the market for another, I would probably go with a '99, due to the newer more ergonomic interior, the newer intake manifold, the rounder body style, and the fact that the 8.25 had the 29 vs 27 spline axles. I haven't owned an XJ with a rear turd, but it would be nice to find a rear 44 so I can dump the C-clips. The '94 I had and the current one are both an excellent platform to use for what I am going to do. For a reliable DD, the '94 was good, it was the last year before airbags, still had ABS and didn't have OBDII, which can be fun for tuning/modding. '97 was a bastard year, as there were three wiring revisions, which is what can be a problem, but the '98's had all of that worked out. The wiring alone would steer me away from that year, and since I really don't like to buy a first of a generation year vehicle, that's my reasoning for buying a '98 or '99. I'd keep yours for parts and find another '99, since most of your parts will transfer easily. Just my $0.02.

Jeff

Back