• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Front Suspension Guru

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok - here's the deal. Bought my '99 stocker earlier this year and when I test drove it and took her home later, she tracked straight, no problem (drove 2 miles with my hands off the wheel, no pull at all, no pull during braking).

A couple months later, the ball joints say that they need to be replaced, so I oblige and replace unit bearings as well (had already done new brakes and U joints all around by this time too). Well, what I find when it comes time to take the old ball joints out is adjustable ball joints that had been "pressed" in with a BFH; I'm about 95% sure that these adjustables weren't meant for an XJ either. If I remember correctly, the driver side ball joint was dead center and the pass side was maxed forward. After everything is put back together with all new hardware, I now pull right like a fiend. Yes, I had the alignment done, tires rotated and balanced and it did help some, but it's not 100%. I need to get an XJ pro involved now.

Yeah, I know, obviously if I put an adjustable back in, it should correct it, but I have no idea what type of offset to put back on there as we had to take the plasma to the ball joints to get them out, and I don't know how to figure that crap out. Also, I would like to find out why I "need" adjustables rather than just band-aid a problem again. Besides, I spent a decent amount of $$ on Spicer and Timken and I'd like to keep them.

I know it's holiday time and people are busy, so I'm not expecting anyone to drop what they're doing to help, but I do need some help with this. I don't have a lot of $$ to compensate with, but I'm sure we can figure something out. I just want her to work how she's supposed to and in the safest manner possible; I pretty much bought this thing to take my kids out with and it's one thing if I'm by my self, losing lateral traction on a snowy shelf road, but completely different with the kids on board.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help - remember, it's for the kids!! :thumbup:

Also check upper and lower bushings and the steering column from the firewall to the gear box.

From what I've seen working on it, there may have been the chance of a wreck / hard impact, even though the PO said it's never been in an accident. He was the 2nd owner, however, with the US government being the first. The drivers side LCA mount had a shoddy weld job done on it, which my buddy has since rectified for me.

How can I check for a bent / twisted axle? What would I be looking for on the steering column?

The bushings have seen better days, but I was hoping to just do bushings at the same time I do lift - which to be honest, may be a little bit down the road. I can't imagine, though, using adjustable ball joints to cover up old bushings.

I wouldn't say anything necessarily feels loose, but ever since I've put the non-adjustable ball joints on, it just feels "off" (aside from the pulling). There's not so much a wobble that I feel through the steering wheel now, more of a vibration.

This is where I'm hoping for a second / experienced set of eyes to giver her a once over. I'm somewhat limited in my mechanical aptitude - I just drive; I'm like Cole Trickle.. :dunce:

Where about in the 661 are you located? I'm down in Pasadena, but I have a buddy who lives up in Lancaster. He may be able to give it a look on the weekend for ya.

An expert I'm not, but I have dealt with front ends for some time. When you said you had an alignment done, did they check camber as well as caster and toe-in? Generally, adjustable ball joints would be installed to correct improper camber, though they can adjust caster as well. But caster can be adjusted, even on stock control arms, by the eccentric at the frame end of the lower control arm.

Without knowing more information, I'd say you pulling is because the camber is off, and the shop didn't check it assuming it wasn't adjustable. The camber could be off if the XJ had been in a n accident, or if the axle is slightly bent.

My suggestion would be to get a reading of the camber angles on both sides. Compare it to the factory specs. If off more than a degree or so, and particularly if one side is off more than the other, then you may want to invest in the adjustable ball joints. I don't believe you can reliably rebend the axle to straighten it.

David Bricker / SYR

Solution sounds simple enough, adjustable ball joints came out, put them back in. You can spend a ton of time and energy trying to resolve a problem that already has a solution. Somebody has already been where you are, and already came up with a solution. If you have the alignment specs, which they should have given you, then you'll know how to align the adjustable ball joints. You may only need it on one side. JMHO

Back