• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

abs vs non abs axles

RedChuck

NAXJA Forum User
im cleaning up a hp30 & 8.25 from a 99xj to go under my 99xj it has a better gear ratio

mine does not have abs but this one does. will the brakes all fit on the abs axle? my concern is with the hp30

also i know the abs shafts have the the sensor ring but are they swappable? can i use the old shafts as a trail back up? are the hubs the same?

any help would be awesome.

A few things. The axles you are cleaning up are from a vehicle with ABS? Because if that is what I'm reading, you do not have an 8.25, that axle did not come in an ABS equipped vehicle.

The ABS doesn't have much to do with the brakes on the HP30, or the rear axle. The thing to make sure is if they are both from a '99, to make sure the hubs are the same on the 30. The ABS works on the front with a tone ring on the axle shaft between the u-joint yoke and the hub on the stub shaft. On the rear the tone ring is pressed onto the shaft behind the bearing, and the sensor is mounted to the backing plate. The brakes don't touch this.

Look at the lip on the hub that surrounds the axle nut to make sure they are the same height, this will mean they are the same hub. Midyear 99 they changed the hub, and the hat height on the rotors changed I believe. Yes, you can use the shafts as trail back ups if you verify the hubs are the same.

even if the hubs are different he can use the shafts as trail spares cant he? he just cant keep the old hubs on the spare shafts right?

Correct, he should be able to use the shafts as back ups.

Most people I've seen carry spare shafts for the 30 carry them with hubs already installed. This makes it much easier to change the broken assembly, and you don't have to worry about torquing down the axle nut after.

ABS tone rings have no effect on the fit or function for any axle shaft or axle. They just sit there and mind their own business.

ok i will have to check the rear when i get home im not putting a 35 on the back of mine. ill just re gear my 8.25 if thats the case. i bought a wreck so your probably correct. :doh:

if the hubs are different. can i still use the brake calibers and rotors from the other axle? the hp30 i got did not come with brakes on it i was going to swap them from my current axle.

would it be better if i just pulled the axles and hubs from my current axle and installed them on this axle?

awesome info are there any benefits or faults between the cast or composite rotors?

this also concerns me

Two types of steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers.

do the calibers need to match the knuckles?

awesome info are there any benefits or faults between the cast or composite rotors?

this also concerns me

Two types of steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side steering knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides calipers have different part numbers.

do the calibers need to match the knuckles?
yes, the calipers are different between the 2 sets of knuckles. the on the later model, the calipers are all the same despite the difference in hubs and rotors. as long as both axles are over the break in the knuckles your calipers will work. keep your rotors paired to your hubs between axles, and keep the calipers with the knuckles basically.

Back