• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main - I chipped the block.

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
FML.

So I was removing the rear main seal using a screwdriver I "machined" into the perfect size punch. I hit it a few times then inspected it and noticed a piece of the block on the inside of the seal was now about to break off. I moved to the other side and hammered the seal out. It came out pretty nicely compared to the others I've done. This is the fourth 4 liter I've done this on, an never had a problem before.

The broken piece (the quarter is for scale);
181664ce-9bfd-f2c8.jpg

A view of the damage;
181664ce-9c68-c568.jpg

So my question is am I screwed? The piece is on the front side so I'm hoping it should be okay. Or will this cause a premature leak?

Your best bet is some JB weld + sand paper to smooth it out. Put the seal in with some RTV, maybe, and hope for the best.

No, it isn't a good thing you chipped the block. It isn't worth freaking out about yet, though, and if you aren't more than a quart low every tank of gas or so call it good enough.

Looks like you dodged the bullet, this time.

i wouldnt stress about that. just put the seal back with some RTV. i wouldnt recommend trying to JBweld it back for fear of it breaking loose and finding its way somewhere it shouldnt be.

i wouldnt recommend trying to JBweld it back for fear of it breaking loose and finding its way somewhere it shouldnt be.

I had thought about trying to repair it using JB Weld, but like you said, decided against it fearing it could end up doing more harm than good.

So in the end, what I ended up doing was nothing. I just put it back together like I normally would. I'm just going to pretend that never happened and hope for the best.

There's a reason you're supposed to use a brass drift punch when doing rear main seals. Looks like you found out that reason the hard way.

That do not look like a problem to me. Use some silicone to fill the gap before putting the seal in place then continue the project normally.

To make life easier for next time, obviously a brass punch. However if you spray the hell out of the seal with WD-40 it comes out way easier regardless of what you punch it with.

Ran it for 15 minutes. No leaks so far. I'll try and update this after I give it a few miles.

Back