• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to jeeps in the SD area

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, just picked up an xj this past week. looking for new people to wheel with in the near future. I'm in the SD area (escondido to be exact).
My jeep is pretty stock so far, it's a 91 xj sport 4 door 5 speed 4wd, 4" lift, rubicon express track bar, bilstiens all around, and new 31x10.5 bfg mud terrains. Open diffs, and really horrible gearing since it has the 5 speed, 3.05's i think.
I'm planning axle swaps in the near future with lockers.
I took it wheeling for the first time yesterday, we went to Corral Canyon. We didnt hit a ton of trails because we had one flop and a broken cv and front dif housing in the group (not me), but i was able to clear sidewinder and most of bronco under my own power without stacking, so i would say that's my limitations for now (we didnt decend bronco because we were running out of daylight and didnt want to chance it). If anyone ever wants to go wheeling and wont be too bored with my trail limitations definitely hit me up!
Dan

Welcome to the addiction man!! I'm out here in Oceanside so not to far. There's actually a few guys out in Esco with you. I'm sure they will chime in to. Lawrence well is just up the road. Kinda cool place for a half day run. Soon as my new leafs come in I'm down for a run.

Now let's see some pics of your rig!!

Welcome to the addiction man!! I'm out here in Oceanside so not to far. There's actually a few guys out in Esco with you. I'm sure they will chime in to. Lawrence well is just up the road. Kinda cool place for a half day run. Soon as my new leafs come in I'm down for a run.

Now let's see some pics of your rig!!
thanks man! it is addicting. I havent seen a ton of xj's out here but there was a pretty built flat black one in the park n ride lot off el norte the other day. It had maybe a 6" lift and some nice body armour with a spare tire carrier on the back, with a roof rack. It had the aftermarket tail light boxes with the round lenses. Is that anyone on here? Sweet rig.
Mine is pretty fugly at the moment, clear coat is peeling. I'm going to rattle can it flat cammo sand color pretty soon, as soon as the weather is a bit more reliable. I also am working on some body armour.
Not much for pics yet, here's the only one of my truck that was on my camera from yesterday, nothing impressive. Better pics should come after my buddy uploads them from his camera.
6532348535_c537b455b4_b.jpg

Good lookin start for sure! Corral canyon with no armor or rock rails!! Nice! I'll keep an eye out around the county for ya! If you see a white 2 door with lots of yellow under the body line. Rails, steering and dif covers that be me. Sorry no current pics. Cheers and again welcome to the forum!

Good lookin start for sure! Corral canyon with no armor or rock rails!! Nice! I'll keep an eye out around the county for ya! If you see a white 2 door with lots of yellow under the body line. Rails, steering and dif covers that be me. Sorry no current pics. Cheers and again welcome to the forum!
Yea, got lucky! sounds like an easily identifiable rig, i'll wave if i see ya. I just saw a pretty nice xj going down mission in escondido near harbor freight, white 4 door, mismatched rear driver's side door, lots of stickers, lift, cut fenders, etc. One of you guys?

I'm sanding the truck down for some rattle can paint right now. just picked up a tube rear bumper and searching for a front one. I'll probably make some rock rails this week.
It'll be flat tan, kinda like a cammo color for sand.

Another in N SD county, La Costa here.
When is the lawrence welk run?
Alternately try the N. County. Meet and greet : first Tuesday of the month @ lamppost pizza
Also, come to Cougar Buttes in Feb!

Welcome! Go red, its worth it!

Welcome. l live in temecula and work in esco. definitely show up at the meet and greet in vista. Lots of fun.

sweet, yea, i'll try and make it on Tuesdays. Im down for a LW run whenever. I just have to finish painting it, hopefully tomorrow if the weather is decent enough.

got her painted! rattle can, but it's way better than peeling clear coat.
khaki ultra flat cammo paint. good for hiding future body damage. easy to touch up.
6540724255_53aa2f518e_b.jpg

Good job there, how many cans did it take?

Looks good...from a distance :)

Looks good...from a distance :)
it doesnt look too bad up close, i sanded the hell out of it beforehand, and primed it then sanded it again. taped it off fairly carefully too.
the black on the window trim is peeling a little, if i touch that up it would look a shitload better.

6540831979_871a671770_z.jpg

6540831111_48c64849ff_z.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I'm also down for some Lawrence welk if I'm still in town.

Back