• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and rear end questions

PowerRam1987

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i've done some reading but i've got a few questions still. i've got an 8.8 with a cherokee driveshaft and the flange adapter on it. i've been looking for a SYE so i figured i would go with the AA because a lot of people run it and it seems to be reputable. basically i'm looking for suggestions on any other SYE makes and what sort of modifications i may need to my otherwise stock length driveshaft before i go and bother having it balanced?

Crown carries a full replacement shaft SYE kit at a great price. They've always got a couple in stock and the couple people I know with them have no complaints. Grab a stock front driveshaft and have it cut to fit your setup.

My Buddy runs a Rough Country SYE with a stock front DS reworked/33s and beats it up on rocks, high rpm shifts in mud pits and DD the rig. They are tight and holding up fine.

i have the same set up with an ax15 and i lengthened a stock front DS to fit. it works great, I also went with the AA and the fit was great on everything. You wont be disappointed.

sounds good. i was stripping some V8 zj's earlier at work and noticed the drive shaft was a bit longer and i was thinking switch my shaft ends on and maybe have it shortened if i need to

sounds good. i was stripping some V8 zj's earlier at work and noticed the drive shaft was a bit longer and i was thinking switch my shaft ends on and maybe have it shortened if i need to
why??

Porch has a good SYE similar to AA's for a cheaper price, and depending one what size lift you have I'd say that a in most cases a regular front ds (XJ) will work for you.

I'm running about 5-5.5" of lift so the front shaft should work just fine i think

As for the zj drive shaft idea i was thinking something a bit stronger but i figure its probably about the same either way. Also i would rather shorten a drive shaft than add material in between to lengthen it. I think its a bit more sketchy. In my head the less welded together pieces you have under stress the better.

Sort of on topic, but how much of the "shaft" is supposed to be exposed when it's installed? Meaning at what point is the male shaft just going to fall out of the CV female part. I just installed a front shaft on my Rugged Ridge SYE and D35, and it looks uncofortably close to coming out. I'm at about 4.5" of lift.

When the front shaft was installed on the front, the joint only had about 1/2" of exposed shaft.

that is a good question for someone who is not me. although in my experience at work some jeeps have had 4 inches or more of the smaller diameter inside shaft exposed when at full suspension hang on the lifts

I think AA still has a package deal with Tom Woods Driveshafts. They have specific instructions for getting the length measurement and then TW builds you a DS to fit. I've had mine on for two years and have no complaints.

I'm running about 5-5.5" of lift so the front shaft should work just fine i think

As for the zj drive shaft idea i was thinking something a bit stronger but i figure its probably about the same either way. Also i would rather shorten a drive shaft than add material in between to lengthen it. I think its a bit more sketchy. In my head the less welded together pieces you have under stress the better.
who said to weld pieces together?? i lengthened mine, but i completely re-tubed it. still all one piece.

Sort of on topic, but how much of the "shaft" is supposed to be exposed when it's installed? Meaning at what point is the male shaft just going to fall out of the CV female part. I just installed a front shaft on my Rugged Ridge SYE and D35, and it looks uncofortably close to coming out. I'm at about 4.5" of lift.

When the front shaft was installed on the front, the joint only had about 1/2" of exposed shaft.
a stock front drive shaft has about 3" of slip from full compression to full "safe" extension.

who said to weld pieces together?? i lengthened mine, but i completely re-tubed it. still all one piece.

well yours is done right haha I've seen many people suggest throwing something together or home making a driveshaft in not the most quality/smart ways on forums. not necessarily here though just in general I've witnessed this bad advice from time to time

Back