• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nitro Super Joints?

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
would these or any other super joint be ok for using in a daily driver? i was looking at these or just a set of spicer 760's. If i kept them lubricated well would they last? or would i keep having to replace them?

No good for a daily driver...unless you have lockout hubs

Care to throw some support behind that statement?

U-joints do not spin when your axle spins. They turn when you turn left and right. You turn just as much with locking hubs as without..

I daily drove on CTM joints for 5 years. Absolutely no problems. Grease them when you change your oil, or more often (I did it every other month). Use a good high quality grease.

As far as Nitro joints go, there is some concern over their quality going around - I'd spend a little more and get CTM joints. Why not have the best?

Imagine turning at speed without lockouts.

You're not rotating it once. You're effectively rotating it over and over.

I'm not arguing for or against since I've never had them, but i can see Bobs point.

While true, you're talking a few degrees and a lot slower movement than you probably think.

Believe me, it is not a problem. I've been running superjoints since 2005, and a lot of others have been running them a lot longer. It is not a problem at all.

There is no evidence that running a chromo aftermarket u-joint on a daily driver is a problem. Run the joint you want to run for strength, and don't worry about it. You must also run chromo axles with an aftermarket u-joint.

It used to be said that you can't run an automatic locker in a front axle without hubs......but it's now done all the time.

It used to be said that you want a selectable locker in the front so you can turn better, now we know you turn better with a selectable locker in the rear.

It used to be said to not run aftermarket chromo front axle joints on a daily driver..........

:D

is that $238 price tag for ctm's each? or for a pair? looks like each

Each.

It's a one time purchase, though. In the very unlikely chance you break one, he'll replace it. If you do wear out the bushing on them, they are easy to replace.

how much are the kits to rebuild them?

Depends on the rebuild.

You can buy new caps with all the parts for $120, but I know you can replace just the rubber seals and bronze bushings - i can't find a price for that.

I want to rebuild ours before KOH, so I just called to get a price on them. They were closed for lunch, but I imagine I'll hear back shortly.

Im just gunna leave this here. Learned some things about the Nitro's which will probably keep me from buying them. If I start having problems with stock 760s or 806s, Ill get some Longfields.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029308
wow. i wont be buying nitros. CTMS are a bit much for what i need, im only gonna be on 285/70-17s, or maybe 35's max. Ive already got chromos coming for the dana 30 since im locked but the alloyusa joints shoud be sufficient. heck, spicer 760's with full circle clips would probably be fine, i just like to build to be comfortable. i wanted to just build a 44 but why if im breakin shafts and they are the same?

i wanted to just build a 44 but why if im breakin shafts and they are the same?

the joints are the same on the 44 and 30, but the D44 shafts are a little larger and 30 spline. but not always. but the ring gear in the 44 is larger as well. if youre only staying on 35's keep the 30

You can run them...but there are better choices for a DD.

You can run full width 1tons on links and full hydro with no flares/roof/windshield...but there are better choices for a DD.

I don't need a degree and scientific data to know that 2 metal surfaces separated by a bearing with grease will wear In a DD better than the 2 metal surfaces separated by grease alone...but the recommendations of the u-joint manufacturers helps. Yukon lists them as "off road only", :rtm:

Buy what you like, and enjoy. If you take care to maintain them all the time, they will likely serve you well...but I wouldn't recommend them for a DD, and I feel they are a complete waste when a Spicer 5-760x is already capable of breaking a 27 spline cromo:greensmok

the ones im looking at are the alloyusa joints that still use needle bearings. they are just made from a better material than the 760's.

Back