• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwright Buyers: BEWARE. Pics inside...

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
Well Ive been putting some miles on my retreads, and I have ro say I'm extremely disappointed. Up until now i put about 3 tanks of gas on them. I figured my business trip to jersey would be perfect to test out their long term highway manners (where I am now). These tires were al force marched to the wheels and roadforce balanced. They still required 120 grams of weight minimum. Thank GOD I threw the spare back in before the trip. About 100 miles in I started developing some steady vibrations. I figured maybe a few of the weights came off, after all the roads suck, no big deal. Around 150 miles the vibrations were so bad I knew something was wrong. Noise and vibes at every speed. I thought deflation right away, but there was no pulling whatsoever on the steering wheel. I pulled over at the next rest stop, an was appalled at what

photo.jpg

photo-2.jpg

For less than 1000 miles im pretty blown. The bubble has gotten even worse now that its off the car, I'll take another pic later. A call to tread wright is definitely on the to do list.

Last edited:
just the one tire? I'd contact them and bet they'd make it right.

they seem like a very decent company and everyone I've known that has them loves them. two people that had issues (not as big as yours) were taken care of right away.

I had a Dick Cepek 38 do the exact same thing. That was an expensive defect.

I've run 3 sets of treadrights on 2 different rigs, and all 3 sets were solid performers, though they wore a bit faster that I would have liked. I'd say they're probably good for about 20-25k based on the wear I was seeing during the time I had both trucks with those tires installed.

consider it this way: tons of people by RC suspension because of the affordable price. We hear a lot about bushing issues for example, which are promptly taken care of by RC. People still buy from RC...

You could compare it to retreads. Affordable price for what is generally a reliable tire(most of the time), and they'll take care of you quick if you do have an issue.

I think it's a bit premature to say that's you're "extremely disappointed" with Treadwright... Granted you've got a tire issue, but you've really only put a thousand miles on the tires.

Yes, it sucks that you have this issue now, but see what they do to rectify the situation and see how the tires perform and hold up before saying whether or not you're that disappointed.

Like others have stated, they've seen the same thing happen on brand new tires from various companies.

Let us know what TW says when you give them a jingle and show them the pics. Most everyone that has used their tires have great things to say about them. You may have just gotten a lemon of a tire.

SanDiego, I'm curious as to what kind of driving/which tires you have that made them wear so quickly.

I think it's a bit premature to say that's you're "extremely disappointed" with Treadwright... Granted you've got a tire issue, but you've really only put a thousand miles on the tires.

Yes, it sucks that you have this issue now, but see what they do to rectify the situation and see how the tires perform and hold up before saying whether or not you're that disappointed.

Like others have stated, they've seen the same thing happen on brand new tires from various companies.

Let us know what TW says when you give them a jingle and show them the pics. Most everyone that has used their tires have great things to say about them. You may have just gotten a lemon of a tire.

SanDiego, I'm curious as to what kind of driving/which tires you have that made them wear so quickly.

Hey there, They were on an 87 4runner that I had back when treadwright was still Hi-Tech. They were the standard 31" MT's and honestly they wore very evenly and predictably during the 2 years I had that rig. after about 10k miles (rig wasn't daily driver) I had about 50% wear on all tires.

Maybe it was their older compound, which might have been quite a bit softer than what they produce now. Oh, and this was the non-green Diamond or walnut compound (whatever it is that they use now-a-days)

Truck was setup as your run-of-the-mill ifs,solid rear, no lift, bull bar/snorkel/winch overland rig.

Oh for sure. All they wanted was "static balance".... Well that called for 270 grams of weight.
That's off put 4 grams of weight onto my buddies 265/70R15's same pattern and BFG AT carcass. I have never heard of a set taking that much weight.

Oh for sure. All they wanted was "static balance".... Well that called for 270 grams of weight.

Then your tire guy doesn't know what the hell he is doing... or your wheels are WAY off balance.

How many times did the tire installer pop the beads, rotate the wheel inside the tire and try again? I would be willing to bet 0 times.

Cool your jets corpin. I was the one that balanced all the tires, and had to rotate the beads on all of them at least once, two of them twice. Each wheel was individually balanced bare before having the tires mounted and then force matched to each wheel. Then they were all road force balanced. force matching essentially balances the tire to the wheel before any weights are applied. You put the heaviest part of the tire near the lightest part of the bead etc. even after they were all balanced I was still disappointed how much they wobbled side to side and up and down on the balancer. Like a drunk kid on a bicycle.

When I said "they" I meant treadwright. They only want the tires static balanced, which I tried first.

Back