• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question on lubes.....

93xjsport88m

NAXJA Forum User
Planning to get another xj and use my other as parts. Wanted to know what the best fully synthetic oils I should use. I am going to weld my 35 and spartan lock my 30. I ran mobil 1 in all my other jeeps before and just wanted to see what you guys run and how they treat you. Just lookin for motor oil and gear oil for the axles. Thanks a lot.

If you want the best use Amsoil. But if you are doing a Lincoln locker, welded spiders, you are not gaining anything by using synthetic since the main moving parts of the diff are welded. Just use a good quality conventional 75w-90.

Cheeses, not this Amsway crap again...

With it being a D35, I would run the cheapest gear oil I could find, as it will grenade itself long before it wears out. Even on the 30, its more beneficial to change it regularly, vs run synth. Take the money you save buying dino oil and pick up a lube locker gasket.

Cheeses, not this Amsway crap again...

With it being a D35, I would run the cheapest gear oil I could find, as it will grenade itself long before it wears out. Even on the 30, its more beneficial to change it regularly, vs run synth. Take the money you save buying dino oil and pick up a lube locker gasket.

Thats just your opinion,Ive been running Amsoil for over 40 yrs in all my vehicles(engines,transmissions,transfer cases,and axles).In racing applications it cut our failure rate to ZERO!

Race applications are a different ballgame entirely.

Yes, it is my opinion, but did you have problems while running another high $ oil ( RP, redline)? Or was this vs. Cheap fluids?

No matter what kinds of unobtanium they put in the oil, its not gonna make a D35 as strong as a 44, or give you 20 extra HP. In a jeep application, where contamination is much more likely than fluid breakdown, ill just change it more often. Plus it gets checked more often that way.

OP: how many miles do you have on the motor? Some have had problems with leaks after switching to synth.

I have a new engine and tranny that are awesome in it with 137 miles on it. Bought it and it went from a small leak to everything being bad (engine, tranny, tcase, radiator and now alternator). Engine and tranny are fine but money to replace everything might as well get another one. Got really screwed on this one!Just found out it had been in a front end accident and the unibody is tweeked and cracked. I ran RP in my last ZJ and XJ and loved it just wanted to see what others opinions are.

No doubt the top oils are better than the low end sludge, but I don't fly the Space Shuttle to work, I drive a riding mower with a roof, tech-wise. Which is why the cheapest Castrol changed regularly(with a great Wix filter) has taken my XJ's a half-million miles without a failure.

Synthetic lubricants will last a long time if they don't get contaminated. Like a propane fueled forklift that lives indoors. For off-road, something that can be replaced less expensively seems more practical.

Back