• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lantern mantles keep breaking

kayle666

NAXJA Forum User
So when ever i go out exploring i have to bring several sets of mantles for my coleman dual fuel lantern. after a even a few hours of wheeling to get to the camp for the night the mantles keep disintegrating. i keep it in the plastic storage case and pack it in the back well but can find a solution.

does anyone have a trick for this? or am i just gonna buy stock in a mantle company?

cheers!

Sometimes it helps if you pre-burn the mantles. Install them to the lantern then burn them with a match until they gets small and ashen, then treat like usual.

This is a good practice, but I also usually pack ours tightly in the middle of our soft gear (tent, bags, etc). It seems to cushion the bouncing around and generally my mantles make several trips before falling apart. I also stay away from the crappy off brands. Beyond that rots of ruck. :D

Don’t transport your lantern in the plastic case. When all I had was the cardboard box I never broke a mantel, as soon as I got one with a case the mantels would break every trip.

I pack mine in a soft case, it rides around in my trailer at pretty high speeds through the desert. I've had a few break but usually they are fine.

That being said. A four pack of mantles is $.99 at Walmart. I always have handfuls and they only take a second to replace.

I use an LED lantern largely because those gas lanterns are so fragile. The coleman one with the rechargeable battery pack that you can buy at walmart. Not as bright, but nothing breaks. I have 3 battery packs for it, but I usually just charge the battery I used the night before while I'm driving around the next day. No need to be careful with it, I just throw it in the back with all my other gear in the morning. And they're cheap.

I'm not carrying any lantern if I'm backpacking, waste of space. I usually just keep 2 mini-maglights (I've had one break before) and some spare batteries.

My jeep only has one 12V outlet and that usually has my little mini-cooler thing plugged into it. So I just use my 800W inverter with a wall charger.

You mean that big expedition style rig of yours doesn't even have a power inverter?

Ryan has a reason to use as many propane burning devices as possible :eyes:

I prefer burning lanterns unless I'm hiking in. While I don't have much issue with breaking mantles I always carry spares.

You mean that big expedition style rig of yours doesn't even have a power inverter?

Oh it does. So does my trailer. I like to keep these open for camera batteries and such. The one in the trailer is reserved for a CPap machine.

We have a couple of the battery powered lights but I've had them fail too. It always seems like the good old fallback is always gas.

We have a battery powered LED lantern as well (Kelty). We used it on out last camping trip and it was very good.

I also pack around a nice headlamp and some Sure Fire lights.

thanks for all of the responses guys! i think ill try to pad the inside of the case and repack the case in a different location. i always do a good job of preburning the mantels and always have a surplus, its just getting old installing new mantles everytime.

cheers!

Any word back on this?

Are you doing more high or low speed wheeling when you break the mantles?
I was amazed that one set made it intact through the Rubicon, I had brought a set for every night!

actually bro i havent broke any since! i just packed the lantern in tighter and so far so good, including tds! well see after this next ocotillo trip!

and thinking about it probably to much skinny pedal......

Back