• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 Xtrans yoke slop

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the low down.
98 xj sport, with np231 transfercase (has slip yoke eliminator kit ), both drivelines are in good condition, stock HP D30 and D35 axles.

Problem is ive recently noticed when i come to a quick stop I can fell something move. Feels like its in the drive systrm somewere. So i crawled underneath and wiggled my rear driveline and noticed slopped in the yoke coming out of the transfercase. The rear seal on the Xtrnas has leaked since ive gotten the heep about 2years ago. I never thought anything of it, just keep topping it off. Only need about a quart every 5th or 6th oil change. I do oil change every 3 to 4 thousand miles.

Wondering how hard it is to replace the bearing? Can i do it without droppjng the entire transfercase? Or should i drop the entire case and replace all the bearings and crap? Also how long does it take? THIS IS MY DD. So maintence down time has to be keeped to a minimal unfortunetly.

Issue with parts is im not sure of the manufactor of the slip yoke eliminator. I looked on terflex's website and found that they sell the rear seal and bearing for there kit. So it looks like to be i can do it without dropping the case and ina short amont of time. Just mot sure.

Also im not planning on keeping this transfer case for any more than another two years after that im upgrading to an atlas and craw box. So i dont really wont rebuild it or buy a reman'ed one.

Thanks

Awww c'mon on now someone on here knows this one.

I'm no expert, but I did do a slip yoke elim. on my XJ. If I remember, the bearing is no different since the bearing supports the output shaft and doesn't ride directly on the fixed yoke. The seal, however, is probably yoke-specific. I'd pull the existing seal and have NAPA match it for a replacement.

And, you can replace the rear output shaft without removing the entire T-case.

SWEETTTTT FINALY SOMEONE. Thats what I was wanting to hear. Just thinking about it while driving to work everyday and I thought well if the rear bearing is almost shot all the way then the front has been getting extra pressure and force put on it, thus wearing it out alittle sonner.

But thanls for the help.

Back