• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking axle seals in chrysler 8.25

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
So i just replaced my axle seals in my 8.25. Now they leak pretty good. The old ones didnt leak. Is there a specific way these go in? Anyone else have the same issue? Looks like they are leaking around the shaft. The vent is clear as well

New rear axle. The ones in my old axle did not leak. The replacement one has a spring like a front inner seal. Does the spring go in or out? And I did pre lube them.

Did you get the correct seals? I replaced mine over the summer and the seals the local parts store tried to sell me were for a 8.25 but for 29 spline axles. So the actual rubber seal would not seal to my 27 spline axles. And Vise versa. Seals for a 27 spline axle will leak in 29 axles because they will eventually tear from being too tight on the axles. A goo rule is to bring the old seal with you to the parts store and match it up the the replacement seals to ensure they are the correct size.

I use a light film of RTV silicone in the seal pocket and pre-lube the seals with suspension grease before assembly.

Did you get the correct seals? I replaced mine over the summer and the seals the local parts store tried to sell me were for a 8.25 but for 29 spline axles. So the actual rubber seal would not seal to my 27 spline axles. And Vise versa. Seals for a 27 spline axle will leak in 29 axles because they will eventually tear from being too tight on the axles. A goo rule is to bring the old seal with you to the parts store and match it up the the replacement seals to ensure they are the correct size.

The axle sealing surface is the same on 27 and 29 spline!

Are any of you able to tell me how far the C8.25 axle seal should be recessed into the axle tube? My previous National 8835S seals were installed in the tube a little but, not equal on both sides (this tells me installation is not critical!). At the moment, I left my new seals flush with the edge of the axle tube.

Rick

I also received a few responses indicating the seal should be contact the bearing. This also makes sense and I think this configuration may result in the seal being only slightly recessed in the tube. I will check this gap on my 88 Xj tomorrow and post again.

Rick

Here is some additional information suggesting the C8.25 axle seals should be mounted flush with the axle tube edge. I searched for the Kent Moore/SPX part number of the seal installer given in the manual and received a few hits on ebay due the amount of dealers that closed recently. Here are the item numbers to make it easier for future readers to resolve this issue after the auctions close:

1 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Tool..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item2a21fc20c4&vxp=mtr

2 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Spec..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item27c32a31c2&vxp=mtr

I think each of these is incorrectly described as a pinion seal installer. My 97 Xj FSM states the C-4076-A is the pinion seal installer. Both seal installers share a common drive, the C-4735-1.

Contacting the bearing race may also be okay. I do not yet know. The end of the C8.25 tubes feature a narrow chamfer (i.e., as in ~1/16") to help locate the seal during installation. This chamfer was visible with the previous seals so, it is possible these were in contact with the bearing race. I may disassemble my spare C8.25 to look at it if I have time.

Rick

Back