• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN Header + CA Smog = ??

Dirt Yota

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I'm new around here and after doing a search I came up with no results.

Can you install the APN header and still pass smog? I don't really see why not since its basically a stock replacement.

Any input will help!

You have to call them and see if it has a CARB number or an EO (executive order) number. If it has either it will pass smog, otherwise it won't. Has nothing to do with the design of the header.

I had difficulties during my last smog check. After an overly excessive amount of time during the inspection and watching the mechs climb on and under the engine compartment, I asked if there was a problem. They said they reluctantly passed it but they were ready to fail it due to failure of identifying what header it was and lack of CARB number, as Goatman mentioned. I did not push the issue and drove away as quickly as I could. Next time I'll be prepared to furnish info or ask in advance what they need before the test begins.

Who can you call for these headers? I found 1 web site that sells them and it seems to be a parts warehouse. Do they have a web site at all?

I pass smog with my 96 with an APN but thats because they just plug it into under the dash and done provided theres no check engine lights.

I pass smog with my 96 with an APN but thats because they just plug it into under the dash and done provided theres no check engine lights.

There is no state stricter on smog than California. Every part of the engine, whether it affect smog or not, must be OEM or approved by CARB. So much so that if I ever had to move out there I'd just sell my XJ here and buy a new one out there that would pass.

I installed my APN in Feb 2011 and had my rig smogged in CA around May 2011 without any issues. I ran my Jeep through a mudhole a few times and it the new APN part looked just as crummy as the rest of the exhaust. If they see a really clean exhaust manifold on a really dirty engine it would likely arouse suspicion. If the smog tech wants to go poking around and looks for the EO number, they can make life difficult for you.

Just went through a smog inspection in Fresno and it sucked!!! I have an AEM intake with a CARB sticker, JBA header with CARB sticker. And it was a huge ordeal! The smog guy wrote down all the info and called the manufacture to verify they were smog legal. And this was friends "guy".

I"ve had no issues with an APN header and smog on my '96. It looks so much like the OEM manifold I doubt anybody would notice it. The only way I'd bet you have trouble is if you try to run it on a Renix rig (no EGR tube).

This is in a Smog Check II county.

Back