• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PS pump or hose?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Got some major power steering leakage going on...How do I tell if it's the pump or a bad hose?

Underneath where the resevoir is there is fluid everywhere so it's hard to tell where it's coming from. It's in every nook and cranny down there. It leaves a couple good sized puddles anytime I drive it and am parked for awhile. The reason there are various puddles, is because it's all over like I mentioned and drips down from various parts.

The guy I bought it from said it was the hose... but I dunno if that is truthful or if he really didn't know. Be great if it was as it's a lot cheaper than a new pump or taking the time to rebuild...

What year is the jeep?

Typically the hoses rust on the metal sections and leak...but the reservoirs can also develop cracks and leak as well.

The reservoirs are available separate and are cheap...~$25. Hoses are available in most places.

Best way to check aside from looking closely is to clean as much up as you can and try to pin point where the leak is coming from once it continues to leak.

If the p.o. replaced the low pressure hose with one not made for power steering/auto trans fluid it will eat through the hose and make a big mess before it fails.

Another possible place is the o-ring between the res. and pump. Easiest replacement is a bathroom faucet gasket from the hardware store.

Mike

Last edited:
Mines a 97.

I need to take out the airbox and clean that area better to see if that's where it's coming from, the hose there. I don't think mine is the resevoir as it seems pretty dry under it, but the hose below it is quite nasty and caked.

Both hoses are right around $20/hose. I didn't realize that the return one was a part available at the chain stores. I knew the pressure one was, and since my XJ was missing both power and return, I just went ahead and got both. Once I get them in, then I am going to replace the air cleaner assembly with a FIPK so that I can maximize the mpgs of this Jeep so that I can move onto the other mods/upgrades. You can also start the Jeep and have an assistant turn the wheels slightly both directions to see where it might be coming from. That way its under its "normal" operation, and big leaks and most small ones will show up. You do want to get it fixed pretty quick. I nearly lost a D-Series International Travelall due to blowing out I believe the pressure line, and subsequentially catching any and all leaves under the hood, and under the truck on fire. Personally I'd just replace the hoses anyways, if it has any kind of miles on it. Just my $0.02.

Jeff

Curious if I was to post pics of the mess I've got of P/S fluid if it would be easier to determine if it was the hoses, the reservoir or the pump itself. I plan on getting new hoses anyways since it seems as though everything is still stock on this thing, but if it's the reservoir or pump I'd like to do it all at once instead of doing it one at a time...

Question:

the return hose from RockAuto shows some that is just tubing and one that has metal tubing as well... which one do I get? Is the regular tubing used with the metal part that is already on the Jeep?

you want the one with the metal. some manufacturers simply don't have it all, and usually it is the metal that rusts and can leak.

Curious if I was to post pics of the mess I've got of P/S fluid if it would be easier to determine if it was the hoses, the reservoir or the pump itself. I plan on getting new hoses anyways since it seems as though everything is still stock on this thing, but if it's the reservoir or pump I'd like to do it all at once instead of doing it one at a time...

If the leak is that bad that it empties the reservoir the pump may be shelled out from running dry...or, at least with low fluid. You may want to replace it when you change the hoses.

Open the hood, pull the air box, attach safety glasses, have friend/other person start the vehicle. look for pinhead leaks... usually pretty obvious. If nothing shows itself, turn the steering wheel to put it under load.
Clean it, if you must.

I'll give that a whirl tomorrow xcm. I'm hoping it's just a hose...

Anyone know what year PS pumps are interchangeable with a 97? Like if I were to get one from a JY...

Back