• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 xj fuel pump insertion

1990xj

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone put a Airtex Electric Fuel Pump in there xj? I am trying to put in mine and I am having trouble making it fit. I dropped the tank. Removed the old one. put the new one in and is almost like the stems coming out the top of the pump is to long. I thought I might have gotten the wrong part took it back to Autozone and got a new one. My luck same problem. I put the original pump back in and it fits like a glove. Any input would be great.

I just did this - twice - in the past month on my '93 XJ and now I believe that the fuel
pump mounting arraignment on these cars was designed by a spawn of Satan.

I put in a Bosch pump...then 3 weeks later fuel began seeping out of the fitting where
the wires pass through the mount disk.

The Bosch pump is physically smaller than the Airtex and comes with a spacer sleeve
- but it is the fuel pump/sender hanger that is the source of your problem.

First, the return tube (the one with the rubber cone tip at it's end) has to nestle in
a socket that is tack-welded on the floor inside the tank. This is absolutely essential.
It takes some blind fiddling around (ie: by feel, only) with the pump assembly while
it's being put into the tank to confirm this.

Second, the O-ring has to be positioned perfectly in order for the pump to seat onto
the tank. Apply some grease all around the rim of the tank opening where the O-ring
nestles. This will help hold the O-ring in place while you struggle and curse the pump
assembly in place.

It took me 4-6 attempts each time, and just when I've gone through every curse word
know to me (in 3 languages) - it somehow seats itself correctly in place.

Check to be sure that the O-ring is correctly seated all around before putting on the
locking ring.

Back