• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running these HID's?

They look similar to the ones they used to sell (maybe they still carry them) at Kragens/oreillys.

That is the extent of my knowledge on them though lol

I am running a set of used Hella 500's with a DDR H4 (4300K) HID kit.

$50 for the pair out the door.

2011-03-16120717.jpg

A guy at work tossed four of them on a light bar into the trash pile, so I snatched them up. He said they were junk, and not working right, but seeing his wiring job and rusted grounding points, I could see why. You can find used pairs of them for around $30-40, got mine for for free.

Pulled them apart and converted the housings to run H4 HID's. This is done by drilling a hole in the back of the housing to make room for the longer bulb assembly, and allow the wires to go through. I then used the rubber grommit that came on the wiring to keep moisture out of the housing. Ballasts and bulbs were from DDR, and set me back ~$40 for the pair of them. They also have singles for sale to fill M/C needs. Then I just wired them up through a DPST 30A relay triggered by a factory fog light switch.

I used this thread for the conversion, but there are other methods out there.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/173272-how-hella-500ff-hid-conversion.html

I have 2 of them on my GMC... You get what you pay for. I wouldn't call them junk, but I'm sure there are better one's out there. I got them on sale at Kragen for 99 bux each...

The part that would worry me the most would be the driver for the HIDs.

I think i'd rather buy a regular set of offroad lamps and then pick up a DDM Tuning HID conversion kit (which is known to be a good, cheap setup). Price would be comparable or less.

Have a set on my jeep in Hella 500s. Work fine, have to have grounds and the like absolutely perfect.

Bright Bright Bright. Halogen bulbs after you see these will seem like mag lites taped to your hood.

Have a set on my jeep in Hella 500s. Work fine, have to have grounds and the like absolutely perfect.

Bright Bright Bright. Halogen bulbs after you see these will seem like mag lites taped to your hood.

Convert them to HID's and you will be amazed! :shocked:

Back