• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need installer advise...

TK99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, longtime lurker/member that needs a little advice. I am in the midst of getting my 99 back to being road/trail worthy, but time due to my career, time to wrench has become way too limited for me to get this done with my own two hands anytime soon. I hate that it comes down to this, but I want her up and running and refuse to sell her.

I am looking for a good installer in LA/OC area that would help by finishing the lift, cage, odds and ends stuff and so on. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am considering T&J as well as Robert at RWKHaus for all my axle needs (Robert, do you do install’s as well?). I really do want to keep the money I spend not doing this myself going to those who help out the forum where and when I can.

Any insight and direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
TK

Last edited:
Bolt ons and lift stuff I can do no problem. Fabrication of a cage and such is a little beyond my means though.

The lift for the most part is on (hybrid 1.75" OME springs, JKS ACOS, and JKS lowers are on, rear is at 2.5" with full leaves)... might switch out the JKS arms for Full Traction long arms.

It's all of the little things that I need to get done, upper/lower ball joints, TnT steering brace, Currie steering install and Anti-rock, TnJ motor mount plates and so on. That and the cage/stiffeners and axle stuff.

Not all of it is needed to get her driveable, but would be nice to get most of it done sooner rather that later.

The lift for the most part is on (hybrid 1.75" OME springs, JKS ACOS, and JKS lowers are on, rear is at 2.5" with full leaves)... might switch out the JKS arms for Full Traction long arms.

It's all of the little things that I need to get done, upper/lower ball joints, TnT steering brace, Currie steering install and Anti-rock, TnJ motor mount plates and so on. That and the cage/stiffeners and axle stuff.

Not all of it is needed to get her driveable, but would be nice to get most of it done sooner rather that later.

You want to run Full Traction long arms on 1.75" springs? I'm pretty sure you cant adjust them in far enough to make that work. You would need to get taller springs. I know the new treand is the whole Low Center of Gravity set up with long arms, but that might be a little extreme for even LCG set up.

No, FT with 1.75" an d 2.5" worth of ACOS netting 4" to 4.5" give or take a 1/4". That is still on the "low" end for long arm, but willing to give it a try.

By the way, LOVE you WJ... I thought seriously about shooting you an offer before you decided to keep her!

You should see it now. I finally got my 4.5" lift on, 32's muds, JCR rock sliders and my front and rear bumpers will be on soon. Should be trail worthy soon. In regards to your set up, I didn't realize you would add the ACOS spacing. At 4" of lift the Full Traction long arms might work, but your gonna loose so much of the nice ride due to the spacers and not proper lenght coil springs. You may want to reconsider just getting some 4-6" springs. Sale the springs and ACOS spacers you have to recoop the cost. I ran short springs with tall spacers on my TJ for a while and the ride sucked. Once I went to the Teraflex 4.5" springs the ride got a lot better. Just something to think about. I'm sure Max or Robert can get you a great deal on any parts you might want. Both of their pricing are REALLY good.

Last edited:
I hope you can send some pics our way of the WJ improvements, I would love to see it now! Thanks again for the help bh!

Al, thanks for the heads up on RWK and Grimm... appreciate it!

If I get time on Sunday I am going to try and get the Currie Steering and Anti-rock in. If I can I will also press in the new upper axle bushings. Wish me luck!

I hope you can send some pics our way of the WJ improvements, I would love to see it now! Thanks again for the help bh!

Al, thanks for the heads up on RWK and Grimm... appreciate it!

If I get time on Sunday I am going to try and get the Currie Steering and Anti-rock in. If I can I will also press in the new upper axle bushings. Wish me luck!

Those upper axle bushings are a real PITA. I destroyed two before I finally got the 3rd one in and you should have seen the old one I took out. I had to drill it out and then use a chisel and torch. It was just a pile of rubber pieces and metal shards. Luckily they are pretty cheap. I will post pics of my WJ once I have everything installed. I plan to finish the build over winter break which starts next week.

I am hoping that lack of rust and PB Blaster that was sprayed on two weeks ago helps, but we'll see. Thanks for the heads up on the potential PIA the bushing represent.

Good luck on finishing up the WJ, can't wait to see pics!

use a chisel to fold the metal sleeve inwards towards the rubber as much as you can then beat it out with a BFH. the drivers side should pop out pretty easy, be careful on the passenger side though as it's pretty easy to bend the flimsy bracket.

use a chisel to fold the metal sleeve inwards towards the rubber as much as you can then beat it out with a BFH. the drivers side should pop out pretty easy, be careful on the passenger side though as it's pretty easy to bend the flimsy bracket.

The driver side WAS pretty easy but the passenger side was a nightmare. You are dead on about bending the bracket. Mine just a tiny bit tweaked and that was it. I was screwed from that point foward. Lesson learned for next time.

The driver side WAS pretty easy but the passenger side was a nightmare. You are dead on about bending the bracket. Mine just a tiny bit tweaked and that was it. I was screwed from that point foward. Lesson learned for next time.
I prefer to plate over the passenger side mount before trying to remove the bushing.

Does the HF ball joint tool help at all with this process... that is what I had in mind to use in pressing these out?

Thanks Grimm for the idea of bending in the metal a bit, makes perfect sense.

quality air hammer...

Not some craftsman or harbor frieght. But a true IR or Snap on. Takes about 30 sec. You might go deaf, but they come right not...

Back