• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Plugging a Zerk Fitting

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys:

Finally got my ball joints in. The lower joints have holes for grease fittings which I installed so that I could load up on grease but now I need to remove the zerk and plug the hole. Any ideas on what I should use to plug the hole? Thanks for any advice

Why are you plugging the hole? Have you checked for clearance between the zerk and axle? Most ball joints come with a small cap screw to plug the hole if the yanticipate clearance issues.

Why are you plugging the hole? Have you checked for clearance between the zerk and axle? Most ball joints come with a small cap screw to plug the hole if the yanticipate clearance issues.

Hey Mongo

Thanks for your note. I was hoping that I could leave the zerk in there, even though It's doubtful I could make use of it. In any case, I checked the clearance by sliding the front axle back in and the U-joint defiantly clubs the zerk. There was nothing in the ball joint kit to plug the hole.

I could I pick up one of those recessed grease fittings although I'm not sure if the thread is the same size as a regular zerk and where I'd pickup one

PS: I Know now why I should have gone with Spicer ball joints. Next time (which will probably be sooner than I'd like)!

if you can find a bolt that fits you can cut it down to a few threads, grind down the head, and use that. its basically the same thing as the cap screw some joints come with. if anything a tight rubber plug would at least work long enough until you can get a thread-in plug

zerk fittings are NPT tapered pipe thread so a bolt would not work

They have small kits you could buy with various zerk fittings in differnt shapes n sizes

I'd pick up some of the recessed ones. Make sure you match the threads though. Between the OEM Zerks and the aftermarket Zerks from a few different parts companies, I've found both standard and metric threaded ones on my Jeep...

I'd pick up some of the recessed ones. Make sure you match the threads though. Between the OEM Zerks and the aftermarket Zerks from a few different parts companies, I've found both standard and metric threaded ones on my Jeep...

I looked all over town but couldn't find any resessed zerks in any size let alone the size I needed.

I endued up cutting 6mm (I think it was 6mm) bolts down to use as plugs. The bolts fit perfectly, the thread holes were not not tapered.

You should just get the low profile zerks you need a needle adapter to service. The thread for Spicer joints is 1/4x28 and I got mine from Speedway Motors.

Hi Rob:

What's a 'side lube fitting on a grease gun'? Can you post a link? Thanks.

Are you referring to something like this:

RightAngleGreas.png

http://www.legacymfg.com/products/dynamic/details.asp?ModelNumberID=L2144&displayLink=false

I'd like to find something like that but with a normal grease gun thread.

If you wanna run with zeriks Get flush mounting ones. You instal them with a flat head screwdriver.

If you dont wanna zeriks use allen head set screws. This is what i have to use on one of the joints for my CV joimt.

Back