• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 persistent random misfires

loki36

NAXJA Forum User
01 XJ sport with just 54k miles. I keep having random misfires. Only happens after the vehicle has been running a while. I've replaced the plugs and done two seafoam treatments. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed pcm was up to date and everything checked out against the known tsb. They said the compression was a little low and suggested and engine decarb to the tune if 250 bucks thus the previously mentioned seafoam rounds. I'm reading lots of posts about the cps but most of those engines are way over 100k. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Does it only when warm...

Heat soak? I know my 01' is prone to Heat soak on the trail. IIRC Those are generally the codes I get.

Sounds like a bad timing chain sprocket (cam drive).

Based on what sounds that you have heard in person ?

A faulty CPS will give you random stalling or a no-start. Heat soak is a possibility.

Did you perform the Toothpick Test yet ? http://motorage.search-autoparts.co...estandard//motorage/292005/169830/article.pdf

Did the Dealer look into this, or is that what the $250 is for ?

Chrysler TSB 0900303
1999-2004 with 4.0 L enginer
Multiple Cylinder Misfire due to carbon deposits on exhaust valves.

TSB says an exhaust valve rotation and decarbonization procedure should be performed. http://jsautosource.com/my-projects/tsb-09-003-03-jeep-4-0-engine-running-rough-no-dtc/

Last edited:
None, obviously. Read the post though; misfired on all six with a loud clacking noise. hmm
dscn7235.jpg

Based on what sounds that you have heard in person ?

A faulty CPS will give you random stalling or a no-start. Heat soak is a possibility.

Did you perform the Toothpick Test yet ? http://motorage.search-autoparts.co...estandard//motorage/292005/169830/article.pdf

Did the Dealer look into this, or is that what the $250 is for ?

Chrysler TSB 0900303
1999-2004 with 4.0 L enginer
Multiple Cylinder Misfire due to carbon deposits on exhaust valves.

TSB says an exhaust valve rotation and decarbonization procedure should be performed. http://jsautosource.com/my-projects/tsb-09-003-03-jeep-4-0-engine-running-rough-no-dtc/

Last edited:
Going off the codes it looks like a hot soak or cold misfire (below 50*). When does the misfire happen? After driving a while and letting it sit for some time and they starting it? First start of the day after a cold night? During driving?

Sounds like a bad timing chain sprocket (cam drive).
Its not a cam gear problem as it isn't a misfire on all six. I see a code for a misfire on #4 and #3, and the random, which pops up with multiple misfire codes. Plus it would be running like crap all the time, not just throwing codes occasionally. Also, there have been a few single row aftermarket cam gear failures, but those have been isolated to strokers with an upgraded valve train. That picture you posted was taken out of context as that is one of the failures on a upgraded valve train with stronger springs and an aggressive cam.

Last edited:
How are the boots on your coils? Look for white spots on them where the spark could be jumping before reaching the plug. As always, check for vacuum leaks and pinched/burned/chaffed wires. Another good way to spot faulty coils is to spray them lightly with water. If there is a leak the spark will jump and you can usually hear it snap and the engine will buck.

After reading everything I could find on heat soak, those symptoms match mine to a tee. I'm going to install a thermostatic fan controller and see how that does. I'll also check into some of the other suggestions as well. Thanks all!

The P0300 (random misfire) can also be related to fuel pressure.

Takes all of 5 minutes to check it with a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail.

For an 01, you should have 49 psi at idle, plus or minus 5 psi.

Back