• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC steering pump for 97-up XJ: part number?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information on finding a PSC power steering pump for my 97 XJ. I've seen inconsistencies between PSC's site, Summit, Quadratec, et al.

Closest I've seen is on Quadratec, part number SP-1205M --- which mysteriously doesn't appear anywhere else, not even on PSC's site.

I read somewhere else - in only one place - that the PSC pump for XJ's requires a remote reservoir.

Some sites say "fits TJ and XJ"; others state either/or.

:badpc:

Is there a direct bolt-in PSC pump that fits a 97-up XJ and uses the OE reservoir and pulley?!?

You expect to be able to use an aftermarket pump with a stock reservoir?

Search for WJ pump conversions on here. Or just get the remote reservoir.

Of course you can run an aftermarket pump with a stock reservoir. A remote reservoir is recommended if you go to hydraulic assist or full hydraulic.

Call PSC, their site can be confusing. The pump prices are pretty much the same, if budget is what you're planning for.

Be careful with a remote reservoir. The outlet of the reservoir needs to be well above the inlet of the pump as our pumps are not positive displacement. This means they need to have the fluid fed to them by gravity. Given the limited vertical space under the hood, it is profoundly difficult to properly locate a remote. Well above with the Heep at all angles of attack. It is easy to starve the pump.

Back