• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will a 225/70r18 fit a stock cherokee?

They should certainly fit into the wheel wells. However, I can't say for sure that you won't have any rubbing issues with the extra inch of tire radius at either full lock while steering or shock compression, depending on the wheel you have them mounted on. Be mindful that with the larger tire, your speedometer will be indicating about 5 mph lower than your actual speed.

Are you building a Mall-Crawler?

Old Wrangler or new?

New Jeeps have a different bolt pattern (5X5 IIRC).

You know, I couldn't even find a 225X70R18...

A 30" diameter would be tight for stock. A common sub for the OEM tires is a 235X75X15.

Last edited:

Why stop at 18, why not go 22", 24" or 30"

If you go 30", you could run 31's with a half inch of sidewall...

Why did either of you bother posting?

Backspacing, actual tire diameter, and the condition of your suspension will be the big factors. I would expect them to rub; I ran 29" tires with stock suspension, and they rubbed, although I didn't notice it while driving.

I am running 235/75-15 and I get rub in the rear with a load... but my springs are flat, and starting to S.

If you have them... why are you even asking, just try the shoes on.

They will fit they are roughly a 30x9.50 which is about the max a stock XJ will run.

I had 30's on my stock before I put on new springs and they were mostly okay - but would rub quite a bit if there was anything in the back and all the time for bumps. Did a little bit of damage to the tread on one tire finding that out.

damn right its a winter mall crawler...

I dont waste time/money modding it

I have 2 07 wranglers that outwheel my cherokee stock with no issue.

IMAG1617.jpg

The tires are from a 2012 sahara. They are the 7 spokes, with tpms.

First off both have gross street tires ;) second you will need lug adapters. Since those are street tires and probably don't even measure 29" tall I bet the fit without rubbing.

Don't really want to get into this on this forum but I don't think you realize quite how capable your stock Cherokee is...
Oh, you have no idea how able i know it is....

I wheeled my 92 a few times. Many of the midwest guys thought i was nuts

But compared to the stock Rubi, there is no way it can keep up.

The sahara, other then being a bit higher are pretty equal.

LOL!

They are too damn noisy, and handle like shit in the ice/snow.

When I go offroad, they go back on. I have all terrains on it now
Even those M/T's should be fine I assume they are not brand new and have a smidge bit of wear to them. If the rear leaf pack is sagged out expect it to rub. If the rear pack still looks reasonably good you should be fine. Probably some rubbing under flex and the rims are not the same lug pattern but it is very common for people to run them with lug adapters.

someone just bashed a bee hive -- NAXJA --
you can theoretically run your 30's on the xj, but yeah, different bolt alignment (cant remember the right word), but the Xj is great off road, obviously your Rubicon stock is going to be better than a stock Xj though... its built specifically to run larger wheels and more clearance. anyways, my rant over here is over.

Back