• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans info please!

rice.desert

NAXJA Forum User
New to the forum, I would appreciate some insight. I'm sure this question has been asked in the past so please be gentle.

I have an '87 XJ 4.0 with the Peugot 5spd. 212,000+ miles on it and the tranny is about to go any day. The local U-pick-it has several Cherokee's but all the manual's have already been robbed. I'm curious what automatic trans can be swapped directly without much trouble. Like everyone else these days I'm on a budget. So what I'm looking for is the best bang for my buck on a swap from the manual to an auto. A list of all parts needed would be very much appreciated!

I love my little XJ and want to keep her alive!

21 spline 4x4, right?

You need an AW-4 off an 87-90 4.0 4x4. You will also need an automatic TPS (30-50 new, this is actually less than half the cost of a manual TPS for a RENIX and works just as well even on a manual), possibly a brake light switch off an auto, a TCU from an 87-90 4.0 AW4, some cables and brackets for the TV cable (goes from the trans to the throttle body), the cooler lines, and a radiator with a trans cooler (if you have the original MT-only cooler) or a big auto cooler. You may also need the trans crossmember and your driveshafts will end up a different length, so plan on replacing them or shortening/lengthening them as well. The 4x4 shifter linkage and bracket may be different, so grab it. And of course you need the shifter for the console, the sheetmetal it mounts to, and the associated cables.

Plan on doing some custom wiring, since your engine bay harness and dash harness don't have the wiring for the transmission, NSS, or TCU. It's not that complicated, I can walk you through it though it will be easier if you find yourself an FSM.

You can also use a 91-97 AW4 but you'll have to swap in a 91-95 transfer case as well, OR make sure your donor is a 91-94.0 (94.5 and later have a different input gear tooth pitch on the transfer case) and pull the transfer case's input gear to swap into yours. Driveshafts are the same from any AW4/4.0/4x4 combo up to a 95 as long as it has the same axles as you, so if you stray from the 87-90 year range you probably want to stay under a 95 or so just so you can pull most of the parts from the same vehicle.

If it's not already 4x4, this is the time to convert it, since you will be pulling and replacing all the hardest to get at parts in the vehicle. In fact if it's 2 wheel drive I would suggest swapping in a 4x4 trans and transfer case along with a 4x4 rear driveshaft anyways, it will act the same as your original setup and it puts you that much closer to a 4x4 conversion (only a front axle and driveshaft away) than you were before, in case you want to convert in the future.

Very very helpfull. Thanks man, again I appreciate it. Hahahaha, I guess I should have said 4x4 in the first place but come on! Its a Jeep! Why else would anyone own them??? Hahaha

Well it looks like I wil be sticking as close to my year as possible, sounds cheaper and less of a hassle. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I'm actualy going to get all the parts so look out!

:cheers:

I am no expert on them, but IIRC the AX-5 manual tranny was far better, and used in later years, and may be a much easier swap?

Back