• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 4.0 Fuel Issues

SGDawg97country

NAXJA Forum User
Gauge doesn't go to full. Even if I fill it up, it only goes to about 3/4. Very frustrating that is.

In addition, I hear a gurgling sound when I stop and shut the egine off. It is definitely coming from the tank. Then when I crank it up and start to drive, about 1/4 mile down the road, the thing starts sputtering. When I get in the gas it sort of backfires and then runs ok for tyhe rest of the trip...no matter how far it is. Shut it off, and the same thing happens.

HELP...

by the way...4" suspension, 33 x 10.50 BFG A/T....exhaust, air intake, etc....i will get some pics on here soon...its not much but i like her...:piratefla

SGD

You could put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch it closely upon cold startup. You should have 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi immediately upon startup. The backfiring is another clue that you have a fuel/air imbalance.

If it isn't there, and that along with the fact that the gauge issue is very likely related to the sending unit which is part of the fuel pump assembly, you should replace that assembly.

If you do end up going that route, do NOT buy an Airtex assembly, which many parts stores carry as a low price point. I specifically search for Bosch when looking for a fuel pump assembly as they are the best in the business......worth the extra money.

Good luck.

Thanks....i unfortunately will be waiting until the first o fthe year as Christmas is rather expensive arounfd my house. I do appreciate the input as I am an electrician by trade and only tinker with mechanical stuff.

SGD

Back