• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Questions

BigBluetrg

NAXJA Forum User
SO I am new to the world of XJs. I have a few jeep rockcrawlers and bought an 1994 XJ for my daughter. It had a tranny issue and was a smokin deal so I jumped on it. Figured to just replace the tranny but boy are those things pricy new and I wanted to get a few answers first before just swaping in a used.

Situation as is now...it goes forward in any gear except park, but seems like it may be under a load. I have gone thru several forms and tried all the quick fixes such as unplugging the ECU.

I dropped the pan and it smelled burnt (bad sign). Not sure if there is anything I can do to remedy the situation but when I pulled of the pan I started it up. Everything was the same. I know nothing about these trannies as my jeeps both have chevy 350 and th400. I figured it would pump the left over fluid out and not move. It did not pump out any more fluid and seemed like it didn't matter. all the gears still went forward.
When I drained the oil it was cool, but when I pulled out the valve body it dumped more fluid and was rather hot.

Looking thru the manual I see the clutch pack controls the reverse or seems too, but I was curious if anything in the valve body could have stuck?

I am sorry for the long post but was just curious as to why the fluid in the valve body would be hot, and as to why with no tranny pan on it didn't pump out what was left and not move? Like I said before all my limited knowledge as to the workings of an auto are Chevy th400 and when I lose the fluid they don't move anywhere, found that out when I ripped a cooler line off in the middle of no where.:D

I'll be replacing the tranny as soon as I find a decent used one but was hoping that maybe I could get this one to limp around for the time being as its annoying to have to push it backwards to move it.

hmm so no thoughts on the matter? Well I thank you for taking the time to read. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Maybe I'll just swap in my AX-15 that came from my jeep. Doubt my daughter will like a stick shift though.

The Jeep goes forward even when tranny selector is placed in R (reverse)???

After dropping the pan, did you put it back on and top up the fluid, then try it again? Results?

Note from DJ
Please look over the complete # 2 post by coppertop71
AW4 Question
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/aw4-question-254062/
OP by LEAD NOT FOLLOW
Does anyone know how reverse is activated on the AW4? Is it by one of the 3 solenoids?

Long story short of it; I pretty much no longer have reverse. When it does work it kind of "engages" as if a solenoid "popped it in". I’m just curious as to if I have a faulty solenoid or if it is something else. I'm not fully convinced my AW4 is shot just yet, I think it may be something related to the TCU (or like).

Also, would a faulty NSS play anything into the fact of not having reverse?

Here is the wiring diagram for my '89 AW4. CLICK ME

------------------
To find out if a problem is mechanical or electrical:
Post # 2 by coppertop71
This post has a complete diagnostic check list step by step for the AW4 Transmission.
I hope you answer your question after reading the post and doing the test procedure as outlined in this post.
Please let us know what your diagnosis is or if you have any questions on how to do any of the test or adjustments.
Will be looking for your post back.

Note from DJ
AW4 Question
OP by LEAD NOT FOLLOW
Does anyone know how reverse is activated on the AW4? Is it by one of the 3 solenoids?

Long story short of it; I pretty much no longer have reverse. When it does work it kind of "engages" as if a solenoid "popped it in". I’m just curious as to if I have a faulty solenoid or if it is something else. I'm not fully convinced my AW4 is shot just yet, I think it may be something related to the TCU (or like).

Here is the wiring diagram for my '89 AW4. CLICK ME

------------------
Post # 2 by coppertop71
This post has a complete diagnostic check list step by step for the AW4 Transmission.
I hope you answer your question after reading the post and doing the test procedure as outlined in this post.
Please let us know what your diagnosis is or if you have any questions on how to do any of the test or adjustments.

I pulled the valve body apart and cleaned everything. Replaced it, pan and oil. And same thing. I was poking around in there with the valve body out and the clutches didnt seem frozen together. Oh well off to PNP to fine a new tranny.

Note from DJ
AW4 Question
OP by LEAD NOT FOLLOW

Here is the wiring diagram for my '89 AW4.
CLICK ME
------------------
Post # 2 by coppertop71

The AW4 has 3 electric solenoids, operated by the TCU. The first two engage operate in an alternating pattern that selects 1,2 and 3rd, and default is 4th (both solenoids off). Reverse is strictly hydraulic from the shift selector.

Did you try new fluid, with some Trans-X in the mix yet? It may just be stuck with varnish from burned fluid.

Back