• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info on 93 XJ

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
SO I just bought another XJ for 200 bucks off of a guy cause it has a bad wheel cylinder. His loss my gain. This is my first non AMC/Renix so I have a few questions.
1. Does anyone have a good, big picture of the engine compartment on a 92-96? It looks like this guy did a number with the vacuum and there are some weird wires under my hood.
2. This XJ has dummy gauges. Could I just replace it with the good instrument cluster? Do I need to change out temp probes and other items.
3. No center console? First XJ I have had with out one. It does have a floor shifter and the ebrake is in between the seats. Could I put in a stock center console? I assume that the shifter and the ebrake are mounted the same?
4. Do these 4.0L engines have the severe blowby problems that the Renix was prone too?
Well thats all I can think of for now. I'm sure that Ill have more questions as this is my first HO XJ. Haven't looged in for a long time feels good to be back :)

1. sorry, no picture here.

2. Same rule as old style. You'll need a new temp and oil pressure sender. Otherwise it's plug and play. Must be 92-96 cluster and same with the senders, which are wired opposite polarity from Renix.

3. Center console should just drop right in but you may need to drill the floor for the brackets. If you get one from a junkyard make sure you get all the pieces. I think actually that it's the same console as the Renix era, so if you have doubts and you have an older Jeep you could pop out the console and check the fit.

4. Mopar era ccv vacuum tube is a little fatter. Otherwise there seems to be no difference in design, but they seem not to suffer from the blowby problem nearly as much, if at all.

3. A few years ago I pulled the seats and carpet out of my '93 to clean them very
thoroughly ...and lo! I found that the factory center-punched the exact spots where the
screws (2) go on the transmission tunnel to mount the rear bracket that holds the center
console.

Good info thanks, now I just need the pic so I can check it against what I have going on.

I have a 93 sport. There are some slight difference between the Renix and the 91 -95 4.0's but not much. My advise is buy a good service manual that has both the wiring and vaccum hose schematics. It will save you a lot of time and frustration in figuring things out.

The good thing is that the 91 - 95 models are as common as dirt so getting parts and info is pretty easy and inexpensive

Yea I have a 2hanes manuals and a chilton a good older chilton. I also have a fsm for a 88so it helps with a lot of stuff but all the vacuum and the wiring is different. I wish I could find a fsm on a 93.

Thx for the pm. Still need a good pic of the engine in mostly stock form

I need a pic of a 4.0L engine bay n.ot the Renix but ill post a pic soon

Post up a picture of what yours looks like. I for one have never seen a Renix, but I may know someone who has if I see a pic of one, thanks
The Chilton XJ manual last I saw had a picture of a Renix. You can tell which one you're seeing at a glance by looking at the coolant tank. The Renix has the pressurized coolant tank high near the passenger side firewall.

So far it looks like I need a serpentine belt and it looks like the electric fan has blade has broken off the motor. Also the shroud for the other fan is missing. I want the pic for comparison because i found a packafe of vacuum tube caps and plugs with a few of them missing but I can't find where there were placed. I don't seem to have a leak but I want to find what is qrong before it causes more problems.

You'll definitely want that fan shroud. The electric fan you'll want eventually but you might get away without it for a while if weather is cold. The serpentine belt isn't that hard, but it's a tight fit. Once it's off check the idler pulley bearings for play and noise too.

My dead 95 has had a few major bits removed, like the alternator and the compressor, but I think all its vacuum lines are intact, so I'll see later if I can take a pic or at least find a diagram. It should be the same as a 93.

Cool thanks. I have a good daigram for the emissions.but there are some others I want to trace out and get done right. So I have to do the belt find a shroud and electric fan. I also have to trim the fenders to clear 31.50 x 10.50 tires.that are mounted on grand cherokee 5 star aluminum.rims. So I have a lot of little things to do before this thing is in good shape.

That is a good site very simple but in formative. Well going to cut the fenders now. Thanks for the info. Still need that pic

Back