• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Injector harness displacement

2X_01_Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
This probably seems like a dumb question but as I'm preparing to pull a valve cover for inspection for cylinder head cracks I've tested a little on how to pull up the wire harness for the fuel injectors to get it out of the way.

It runs thru a rectangular aluminum or plastic conduit which is shoved down over 3 cylinder head bolts. It will have to be displaced to remove the valve cover.

So.... is there a trick to removing it? It appears to be plastic sleeves shoved down over the bolt threads. But when I pull and and wiggle the thing it really doesn't want to move. Gentle prying with a screwdriver doesn't seem to help either.

I have the FSM and it makes no mention of this component at all and it is not shown in the view of the valve cover job. It does show in the wiring harness section. It doesn't say anything about a trick or catch or release to pull it up.

Brute force might win out but might break it too.

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks.

Brute force did the trick.

Had to disconnect coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing and cut a tie wrap on the firewall for the harness to loosen enough to let the valve cover out.

Fel-Pro rubber valve cover gasket is totally identical to the OEM gasket.

I don't have any cracks on the head of the white one (49k) but do have 2 round spots right on that area almost like an ultrasonic inspection mark.

Back