• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt stuck in rear shock bushing

tdicola

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to change the rear shocks in my '99 XJ and ran into a problem taking out the old shocks. The previous owner put a small lift on with bar pin eliminators for the rear shocks. I removed the bottom mount of the rear shock but am having problems with the top. I took off the nut but the bolt won't slide out of the shock bushing. Trying to turn the bolt out just results in spinning--it seems like something is stripped or not catching inside the bushing. Any advice how to get this bolt out and free the shock?

Here's a picture to better explain:
qpZsc.jpg

The bolt going through the red bushing and shock is what I'm trying to get out. I thought about removing the bar pin eliminator but I can't get a socket on the bolts that hold it to the body with this stupid bolt in the way. Anyone ever run into a problem like this before?

Keep spinning it, and give it a tapity tap tap on the nose side while turning, should pop out enought for the threads to bite and spin free

Grab the bolt head with a Vise Grip. Slip a small crowbar (or a brake spoon adjuster)
between the head of the Vise Grip and shock mount. Rotate the Vise Grip back & forth
while applying levering force with the crowbar.

oh That sucks I'm gonna be doing this next weekend I pray I don't have any problems but I figure I will since I had to cut my rear sway bar out because of the same thing you're dealing with here...

x2 on prying the underside of the head up... once you get it to come out a lil bit, the threads will catch, and you can unthread it the rest of the way.

or get a punch, or a tapered alignment tool... or screw driver... or nail set, anything to put the hammer force to the center of the bolt, away from the threads. or hit it with a mallet.

OR, loosen the bar pin eliminator with a wratcheting open end wrench, or plain open end if your so unlucky...

PB Blaster is your friend... That and a 6-point socket.

Apply the Blaster liberaly and give it some time to work it's way under the bolt head. Lightly tapping the bolt head may help the penetrating oil migrate, but time is also your friend. As for using any sort of adjustable tool, I believe that you need the best grip you can get which, in my opinion, is a 6-point socket. A 12-point could easily round off the head. Just rocke the wrench back and forth, do not bother attempting to turn it until it frees up. Work a bit, add more Blater, wait and repeat as required. If all else fails, you can use a propane torch to gently heat the bolt the get the oil to work better. Not much heat is required.

Might just be easiest to pull out the BPE and work it in a vise...

Thanks everyone for the advice. I managed to get the rear shocks mounted tonight. I ended up taking the bar pin eliminators off by getting a slightly offset wrench on the bolts. With some PB blaster the bolts came right off and freed the shocks. It was actually a bigger pain to get the new shocks compressed enough to slide in, but with a jack and some patience I made it work.

The car rides a million times better now!

Back