• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ tie rod question

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, I got a nice ZJ V8 tie rod from the yard wanting to swap my stock one in the MJ. When I installed it I measured from bolt center to bolt center and set up the new (ZJ) tie rod to the same length.

When I went to bolt it in I had to reduce the length by about an inch. What I need to know is how to adjust it back out (as I've never done this) so I can get it lined back up enough to drive it. Right now the pass side looks straight up and down, but the drivers side is angled in at the top.

Get out your trusty tape measure and measure the distance between the tires in the front and back until they are equal, effectively setting it to zero toe.

I'm not sure I get how the tie rod could cause either tire to be angled in at the top. Toed in, yes, but if it's really angled in at the top only, may be a different issue. Ball joints?

Well, anything is possible at this point. I'm just trying to figure out why the tie rod had to be shorter than the stock one even when I measured on and off the Jeep.

I just pulled it in the concrete driveway to finish/adjust the alignment. I usually have to work in the gravel, I'm hoping I can get a better measurement on a nice flat surface.

Back