• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3rd brake light doesn't work

shark0302

NAXJA Forum User
all,

i recently replaced my 3rd brake light bulb since it had stopped working after a heavy rain storm. So I put a new light in it worked fine till the next heavy rain storm. I replaced it again today and all of a sudden the trunk light on the gauge cluster comes on now even though the tailgate is shut fully two clicks when opening.

things i've tried
so i tested with the tail gate open two clicks the light shuts off.
hit the brake light shuts off.

3rd brake light still isn't working though. Any idea's on what i some how screwed up ?

2001 xj limited.

Assume you either put a screw into the tailgate wire harness, or that a wire or two my have broken. Inspect the tailgate wire harness, especially near the flex points, for damaged wire/insulation and/or failed wire splices

how do you test the brake light switch? opening up the hatch i disconnected and checked everything no splits and the lights now off. however now I have no brake lights at all. After a little searching i keep see the brake light switch being the problem but no real clue on how test it?

I would also assume that if it was faulty I wouldn't be able to get the jeep out of park is that true?

Also all the turn signals work, running lights work, reverse lights work. just no brake lights.

thanks,:gonnablow:gonnablow

It appears that either the wiring on the brake light switch was lose or the blown fuse under the hood. Either way i have working brake lights(other then the 3rd brake light) and the tail gate light is no longer on. i'll take that as a small win back to where i was when i started. Appears i missed the brake in the tailgate loom.

I had a problem with my wife's TJ, turn signal not working correctly.
I turned out one of the bulbs failed with the filament shorted to a turn signal
filament. If you haven't already done it, check all the bulbs for continuity.

Back