• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spartan locker won't unlock

96 XJ Sport

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some advice before I button up this Spartan locker install in the D30. It's all done except for the diff cover and oil.

Problem is when trying to test it per the instructions by turning both front wheels in opposite directions at the same time, the locker is not ratcheting as it should. I believe I followed the instructions perfectly and it seemed simple enough, but I just can't get it to unlock manually.

Things to note...I definitely did not reinstall the thrust washers, as appropriate, and also measured the distance between the drivers at about .152" which is within the specified range of .145"-.170". So, any ideas on what could be wrong?

It needs a bit of break in to smooth out the sharp edges. If brand new, to test, you really need to snap the tires with some force.

Thanks. That makes sense. It probably doesn't help that everything is dry, either. I'll try to snap them even harder tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go ahead and fill it up and move it around in the driveway very slowly and see what happens.

did you buy the locker/unlocker, or just the locker?
really though, finish the install and add the fluid and run it. it will loosen itself up.

This was exactly the case a few weeks ago when I installed one in my front D30. It was installed exactly to spec. It did a little "pop" when we first drove it, which must have be it disengaging. It's worked great. They are simple and very effective lockers.

Yep, it just needed some lube. After that, it spun like the wheel of fortune with the tires in the air. It gave one good POP when backing it out of the garage, then it did the normal ratcheting around turns. It's a little bit louder than I expected, but not that bad. I'll see what happens after it breaks in a bit. Thanks everybody.

Back