• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem

fishfighter

NAXJA Forum User
I have one for y'all. At times, my xj will not start up on first crank. When starting, I have to turn the key on, lisen for the fuel pump to run and then turn it over. Sometimes I have to do this twice before I get enough gas to the motor.

Also another problem that I'm sure it has to do with the first problem. At times when filling the fuel tank, removing the gas cap, I hear it sucking air in big time. Should the fuel tank be venting all times? If so, were is the fuel tank vent?

Oh, my XJ is a 1999,4.0L 4x4 with auto. No external fuel filter. The fuel pump/filter is inside the fuel tank.:doh:

So, what do y'all think?

Yesterdays fix on the heater core was a blow out. After pulling the dash and seeing I would of had to remove the AC coil, I blew that off and bypass the heater core and put everything back together. If my AC starts to leak, then I will go back in and replace everything. I need AC more then heat.

Your first issue is a very common problem. There's a check valve in the pump assembly that goes out. Only way I know of to fix it is to replace the whole assembly.

Back