• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OX or ARB

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
looking to put a selectable locker in the front D30 of my ECORS race-Cherokee. I like the open carrier for fast sections on open track or steering thru the woods, but want the ability to quickly and reliably lock-in the front axle if needed at some obstacles. Cost betweeen the OX and ARB looks to be comprable, how about performance? Is there any lag with the ARB, or will it not engage under throttle? It seems like the cable driven OX might be quicker/easier to engage under race conditions, modulating the throttle while pulling the cable.
Feedback...?

In my opinion, for race conditions I would want the simplicity of the OX. The ARB has more parts (IE: pump, air lines, fittings etc) that can fail whereas the OX simply has a cable. No electrical hookup, wiring etc. The cable adjustment on an OX is a critical factor but once it is set up properly it is very reliable. The OX also comes with a very beefy diff cover. The diff cover can interfere with some aftermarket steering setups but if it is a race vehicle I am thinking fabrication is not an issue. My vote is for OX.

I would say arb.. you can run them on a c02 tank and an air toggle switch.. and eliminateI at thea electrical. the ox does have the diff cover with it.. but a strong diff cover should always be used to protect ur investment and to strengthen the weak housing.

My buddy has had more problems with his OX then I've had with my ARB.

Your buddy has also had his OX for 3 more years than you have had your ARB. You've been running your ARB for about 6 months, I never had a problem with my OX until you got your ARB running. And at that, the 1st cable I melted was my fault for routing it in a way it could touch the intake, and the 2nd cable was because I didn't have any steering or guard to protect it. Even with the fubar cable, I was still able to adjust the cable on the trail, and continue the rest of the day with a selectable locker in front.

If you go with an OX, make sure you do some sort of protection for the cable to prevent rocks from getting too cozy with them.

With that said, I've only engaged my OX at low speeds, right before an obstacle, while I'm turning. If you're going straight, you won't be able to engage the locker if the lock collar isn't in synch. That is why whenever I need the lockers, I just turn the wheels a little as I'm coming up to an obstacle, or if I don't have traction, I slowly allow the tires to spin until I feel it engage. I'm not sure how well it will work at speed, only because I've never tried it.

Last edited:
Another vote for ARB's,both of mine are 10yrs old and have never had any issues.I did have to rebuild the compressor last year after years of filling up tires,cost about 20$!

Your buddy has also had his OX for 3 more years than you have had your ARB. You've been running your ARB for about 6 months, I never had a problem with my OX until you got your ARB running. And at that, the 1st cable I melted was my fault for routing it in a way it could touch the intake, and the 2nd cable was because I didn't have any steering or guard to protect it. Even with the fubar cable, I was still able to adjust the cable on the trail, and continue the rest of the day with a selectable locker in front.

If you go with an OX, make sure you do some sort of protection for the cable to prevent rocks from getting too cozy with them.

With that said, I've only engaged my OX at low speeds, right before an obstacle, while I'm turning. If you're going straight, you won't be able to engage the locker if the lock collar isn't in synch. That is why whenever I need the lockers, I just turn the wheels a little as I'm coming up to an obstacle, or if I don't have traction, I slowly allow the tires to spin until I feel it engage. I'm not sure how well it will work at speed, only because I've never tried it.
And colin has wheeled more in the past 3 months then you have in the past 3 years, myself I don't like selectables to much shit to go wrong, I like lockrites, aussies and spools, simple cheap and work

want the ability to quickly....Is there any lag with the ARB, or will it not engage under throttle? It seems like the cable driven OX might be quicker/easier to engage under race conditions, modulating the throttle while pulling the cable.
Feedback...?

Another vote for ARB.

I've been running ARB's F&R for 2 years and to answer one of your questions, they are instant. As quickly as I can hit the switch, they engage/disengage and I have never had an issue with engaging them under throttle.

If you take your time and route things right and install the wiring and air lines correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.

I think Ox has electrical actuator kits and air actuator kits with their lockers now. Or maybe that just complicates the decision making process.

Eaton E-locker.

I have no experience with ARB. In my experience with my OX, I melted a cable cause I routed it too close to intake. Since I re-routed it, really no issues with the cable.

I have had an issue engaging it when I needed it. I do believe though that it was my mistake. I don't really know much about how these work, but I do know it won't lock sitting at a stand still. In my experience, it only locks if I give the wheels a chance to rotate about a half turn. (Begster mentions the lock collar, which I guess is what I am talking about?).

Anyway, once I tried to engage it when I was already wedged into an obstacle, and no luck. I should have locked it before I was fender deep in rocks. Not sure how the ARB would have performed in the same situation.

Overall, I like the Ox and would likely use again on my next rig.

Eaton E-locker.

I agree, I personally love E-Lockers after being around them. My dad has a JK 4-Door Rubicon and he just has to press a couple buttons and his sway-bar is disconnected and he's locked up front and rear. I'm saving up for the electronic lockers, I don't think they're much more than an ARB or OX.

:peace:

I agree, I personally love E-Lockers after being around them. My dad has a JK 4-Door Rubicon and he just has to press a couple buttons and his sway-bar is disconnected and he's locked up front and rear. I'm saving up for the electronic lockers, I don't think they're much more than an ARB or OX.

:peace:
Last I checked around the same price. Just depends on what you want.

As soon as I flick my air valve, my arb locks in. Moving or not, on the gas or not, doesn't matter.

No playing with levers, adjusting cables, or being limited by the bend radius of cables on where to mount levers.

I also dont think the ox covers are anything special.

I love my ARB covers on the other hand.

IMAG0346.jpg

Back