• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine seems to skip

new hampshire xj

NAXJA Forum User
engine skipping

I got a 2000 xj and the engine seems to be skipping. It does not do it all the time. The jeep has spent its fair share of time in the woods. The person who owned it before me replaced the head with one off of and older model which does not have the four bolt holes that hold the coil rail to the head and on the plugs. I'm not sure if that would cause it do to the coil rail not being grounded. Any ideas
O and another thing the cel is on but I've tried several scanners and the obd2 port does not seem to work

First course of action - Find out what the CEL is. It's your best and worst friend. Check all your fuses. Sometimes there's a fuse that can blow and your port won't work. Otherwise I'd say try a better scanner.

All the fuses check out good. I tried pretty decent scanners. Also the cel will start blinking repeatedly every so often I don't know if its is tryin to send a code I thought only od1 did that through the cel

If your CEL is blinking, it means that there is such a bad misfire that you are damaging the cat converters and you should shut the vehicle off and have it repaired ASAP. One thing Ive found to be a cause on the coil on plug models is that the cam sensor shaft sometimes gets worn and will start wobbling on the cam sensor (disstributor) housing. Pull the little cap off the top of the can sensor, and check the shaft for play. If you start the vehicle, and watch the shaft turn like this, you may see it jump from time to time causing the cam signal to go in and out causing a misfire. Check it out, and let us know what you find. The only fix for this is a new oil pump cam sensor drive assy. Good luck.

I'm not exactly sure were the cam sensor is located it does not have a full distributor on it rather just the shaft with a plug in on top. Also it only has the two cats the are near the manifold the one by the muffler has been cut off by previous owner

Cam sensor is what he was referring too, not that crank sensor on the bellhousing of the tranny. And yes, blinking CEL does mean a misfire. You really need to find out what those codes are. What scanners did you try? Have you looked under the dash to see if any wires and broken going to the datalink?

Ment to say cam sensor sorry. Iv tried the ones at autozone (junk) and I have tried some from snap on since they come to my work everyday haven't checked to see if there any bad wires but am getting power to the port on one of the connections

Update. Now when I start the jeep any time the rpms reach 3000 the cel will start blinking and it act as if the rev limited is set to 3000 rpm will not go any higher

It has the coil rail on it i tried to different ones from jy still the same don't really want to spend 150 bucks to buy a new one ive changed the plugs twice since its been doing it and set the gap to .030 which I believe is correct

Mine has a distributor so I dont have any experience with the coil rail. Oh well good luck. Unfortunatly in my experience I would lean to coil rail or plugs. A bad fuel filter also causes lots of problems

Back