• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 L Engine Swap Compatability

ewilly

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 XJ with a 4.0L that has 222K miles and I have a friend with a 4.0 out of a 1999 TJ with 75K for a good price so I am considering doing the swap if it is clean and no mods required!

I would appreciate it someone can confirm that this is a clean swap other than some accessories and was the 1999 engine clean without known problems?

Thanks,

What's wrong with the 4.0 with 220k? If it runs, I would just leave it be. These engines are just shy of bulletproof, as many will agree (Jeep guy or not). Pretty sure one from a TJ won't work though, since they have different brackets and such. Someone else will chime in with more useful knowledge of the swap

Have you tried searching?

99 is the last year of TJ that should work. I know that 99WJ and 00TJ they changed castings for the block. Should be able to swap your accessories on to it and be good to go.

Back