• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 banger axles ??

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
I found an 87 cherokee, 2 dr, 4 cyl, AW4, 4x4 in running condition, good body, dead interior for sale.

What axles should this have under it ? (or is it most likely to have)

I know the 4 cyl cherokees had 4.10 gears, but I have also read and been told that the 4 cyl with the AW4 trans had 4.56 gears.

What are the odds ? Could it have 4.10 gears and a D44 rear ?, or the lotto, 4.56 gears and a d44 rear ??

Will an AW4 from behind a 4 cyl bolt up to a 4.0 engine ?, since this one has < 1/2 the miles on it that mine does, and mine is getting tired quick.

Likely 3.73 or 4.10 depending on package. No D44 for you, just a bearing retained D35 and a D30 disco with 260 u-joints up front.

If the interior is shot, and everything else OK, take it home and Friend it. the 2.5L with D35/D30 combo will be indestructable even when locked all the way around and stock drivetrain on 31's. The 2.5L doesn't have enough balls to blow itself to bits, let alone a Dana axle :D

-Ron

-Ron

You can always read the axle tags to be sure. I got a non disco with 4.10s out of a 86 2.8l. I was supprised it was non disco but it had the np207 I believe. So you shifted it into low range manualy and it had a switch (I assume vacuum) to engage 4x4. Though I never looked on the tcase to see if it had a shift soilenoid. But unless it has 2 shift forks, that wouldn't make sense.

i pulled the axles out of a 87 XJ from the junkyard last month that was a 2.5/auto and it came factory with 4.56 gears. Swapped them into his XJ since mine already has gears/lockers

ok, I stand corrected... apparently Wiki knows more about XJ's than the spec page from my "favorites", lol

Jeep XJs came in several standard gearing ratios:
  • 3.07:1, manual transmission, I6 engine.
  • 3.54:1, automatic transmission, I6 engine with Dana 44 rear differential.
  • 3.54:1, manual transmission, I4 diesel engine with Dana 35 rear differential.
  • 3.55:1, automatic transmission, I6, V6 engines; manual transmission, I4 engine.
  • 3.73:1, automatic transmission, I6, Tow Package, UpCountry Package.
  • 4.10:1, manual transmission, V6; automatic transmission, I4 engine.
  • 4.56:1, automatic transmission, I4, offroad or tow package.
And honestly, if this has the 44 in it with either of the gear ratios thats ridiculous lol...

Last edited:
Don't know what Tcase yet, but my 88 has the np242, so bigger ujoints and non-disco axle

Also, this statement seems incorrect to me? The justification for the larger 297x U joint was whether you had ABS or not pre 96'. Not by what T case you have... Is this correct or am I just very tired right now?

Also, this statement seems incorrect to me? The justification for the larger 297x U joint was whether you had ABS or not pre 96'. Not by what T case you have... Is this correct or am I just very tired right now?
T-case in a 87-90 Renix would decide whether you had vac-disco or not. 231 = vac-disco and 242 = non-disco.

For the u-joints ABS decided which.

If it is an 87 and I4/AW4, it most likely has 4.56's under it. The AW4 trans body is the same as the ones behind a 4.0L but the bellhousing and torque converter is specific to the 2.5. You can swap both and run it behind a 4.0.

Jeff

T-case in a 87-90 Renix would decide whether you had vac-disco or not. 231 = vac-disco and 242 = non-disco.

For the u-joints ABS decided which.

Well, this statement from the axles FAQ tells me it has the large ujoints because of the Tcase, Haven't had to replace them yet, so can't say for sure.

1986 to 1994 XJ's came equipped with the small (260 series) u-joint, EXCEPT All ABS and NP242 equipped XJ's came with the 297 size joint.

So I guess the Tcase AND ABS indicate the ujoint size.......................:laugh:

Last edited:
Went to check it out tonight

87 2 dr Cherokee (no off road or towing package items present)
2.5L engine AW4 trans 231 AMC tcase
D30 disco / D35 with 4.56 gears (verified by factory tag and DS vs tire revs)
BB hack style lift on it
Body & interior in very good shape, but mechanically, not sure it is worth it.

Runs & drives, but has issues. Engine is rough and leaking oil & exhaust, Radiator looks like salt water has been run in it, trans doesn't shift right, and the shifter is so messed up you can't even shift it manually.

Track Bar is mounted upside down, and has a heim @ the frame, with the bolt holding it on loose.

It is actually a nice looking cherokee, just too many mechanical issues for me to want to deal with right now. And for what he wants for it, I can put in new gears/bearings/seals and KNOW all is good.

Last edited:
What does he want for it? I might buy it for the body and the d30 but that's about it. Could also put a new track bar, exhaust, trans, and 4.0 + engine harness and ECU in it for ~500 I would think.

Too bad the drivetrain is in such rough shape and it has the d35.

Back